chapter seven

NEWS spreads like wildfire across the Karasuno club

NEWS spreads like wildfire across the Karasuno club. Suga's back? is all that is whispered amongst its former members. They crowd the old court in silence, eyes glancing at one another in curiosity. Is it true? They all think. Will we start the club again?

Daichi walks in then, volleyball in hand and Asahi following behind. They hear the news in whispers from Noya, whose eyes of brown are wide with an old joy. Tanaka's loud rumble of laughter clarifies this, and soon their feet are sprinting down corridors, skidding round corners and tumbling, at last, into the volleyball court.

In front of them sits the very people that were once their friends.

"What is going on?" Daichi breaks the silence, his usual fatherly figure taking ahold. His tone is sharp, cutting through the hope of Karasuno Volleyball club's former members.

"Suga..." Hinata begins, brewing with happiness. "He's coming back right? We can start volleyball again...right?!" He beams, face tight with a suppressed smile.

"I... Who... Who told you that?"

"I may have told Noya something...or other..." Asahi whispers sheepishly, hand on the back of his head.

"Why exactly?"

"We miss the club, Daichi." It is Yamaguchi who speaks, eyes downcast. He fiddles with his fingers, tucking a loose strand of green hair behind his ear. "We miss it, everything. And we just thought...if....if Suga-san comes back that we could play...again...or something..."

Silence falls again. There isn't much to be said apart from the apparent, hurtful truth or a hopeful lie. Daichi hesitates, letting out an exasperated sigh. Tsukishima almost breaks a smile—it reminds him of the old days.

"I'll... I'll see what I can do."

After all, he is the captain.