cowpokes and commanders: an introduction

Night fell over the museum, and with the tablet aglow, the exhibits came to life. 

Jedediah was no stranger to loneliness. He knew the feeling all too well. Not that he was particularly upset about it, or at least he didn't know he was upset about it.

He just worked better that way. He never was one for friends, though he was likable, just had a tendency to distance himself from anyone who got to close. This factor, and a few other things, made it all the more surprising for the stubborn little cowboy when he began to take a liking to his neighbor across the way.

With a matching fiery temper and a passion for justice, Octavius had noticed Jedediah too. This led the young men into a bit of a mutual understanding of respect, and maybe intimidation.

They had, of course, been living near each other for some time, and had had a few fleeting conversations. The tipping point of Octavius' admiration, though, was a moment that neither would soon forget.

Three days previous:

"Alright men, heave- HO!"
*BOOM!*
A gargantuan battering ram pummeled the rock wall. Well, it was gargantuan to them, anyway. Yet again, their efforts to break the wall separating the Western enclosure were fruitless at best.
"Today is the day, soldiers. Do not be discouraged! Heave-"
But then, as the soldiers reared back, he was knocked from the great wooden ram and thrown to the edge of the enclosure by the sheer force of it.

He found himself teetering on the edge of the abyss held up by one hand, with nothing but the unwelcoming tile floor below being there to catch him.

He cried out for help as his hand slipped from the edge, but his shouts were in vain.

He was so caught up in falling to his supposed death that he failed to hear the voices that had appeared below. He failed to hear the whinny of a stallion, or the shout of, well, another type of stallion.

"Woah there hom-bre!" Said the cowboy, scooping the commander out of the air whilst on his horse.

Octavius gripped the cowboy for a moment, as though recognizing his safety, and then he lost consciousness. Falling from the horse with a thud.