Chapter Ten

With ground beef, an onion, a green pepper, eggs, panko, and a whole pile of seasonings and fresh herbs I get started on the meatloaf

With ground beef, an onion, a green pepper, eggs, panko, and a whole pile of seasonings and fresh herbs I get started on the meatloaf. Tabitha has her laptop on the counter next to me as I move things around to cut up the onion and pepper, she pulls up the first of her list. "There are a few house options in London, is that somewhere you would want your nest?"

I didn't have to think about it before shaking my head no. "I would like to stay in America, I might consider Canada but I'd like to stay in the continent."

"Okay taking out all of the London ones, and ones in Europe in general." Tabitha taps a few keys, and my phone next to the cutting board lights up with another text message. This morning it went crazy, then it stopped for a while until around the time I got home. "Anything I can help with?" Tabitha was looking at my phone when she asked.

I sigh and shake my head. "I technically have a boyfriend, but I don't know, I loved him at one point, but I don't see it going anywhere now." I try to think of a way to explain it as I moved the cut veggies to the side and pulled over a metal mixing bowl. "He was my best friend, the only person I talked to for a while, so I started dating him now I regret it, even more so with everything going on."

"And now you don't want to hurt him."

"Exactly."

"It's better to rip the band-aid off now than to leave him wondering." It was blunt but true, I knew I should do it, but I felt bad.

"For the past little while he had been gifting me stuff, he's well off but not," I mention around us. "This well off, I'd like to send him some money for all the things he got me, but also for being there for me."

"We can do that." She pats my hand, trying to comfort me. "You had a life before coming here, you have people you still care about so if there are people you want to gift some money to I understand."

Putting the meat in the bowl I was glad I had gotten enough for three meatloaves, and glad this bowl was massive. Small diced onions and green peppers followed. Fresh basil and parsley were torn up and added, I added three eggs, one for each pound of meat, and one-quarter cup of panko for each pound. "Hmm." I hear Tabitha muttering. "We can't go to New York or New Orleans."