Chapter Twenty-Two

Katie came down the stairs. The house was dark, the only light coming from Walter's study. She padded softly down the hall to the door. Inside, she could hear soft music playing and the sound of ice clinking in a glass. She pushed open the door carefully.

Adrian Chesterfield swiveled around in Walter's chair, a glass of scotch in his hand. His eyes didn't so much brighten when he saw her, as they deepened. A slow smile quirked one side of his lips.

"Mr. Chesterfield." Katie whispered his name and the sound of it made her lips tingle. "I didn't expect to see you here."

"Didn't you?" His deep voice rumbled in her ovaries. "I came to see you, Katie."

She stood in front of the desk, barely breathing, as his eyes traveled down her body and back up again. She was suddenly aware that she was standing there, naked. But she didn't care. She could feel the night air on her skin, she could feel the heat from the light of the desk lamp, she could feel the weight of Adrian's stare.

And then he was up from the chair, taking her into his arms. He kissed her lips, her earlobes, her throat. He said her name and his voice was like a gentle hand, caressing her, loving her. She leaned her head back as he lowered her to Walter's desk.

"Katie..." He whispered.

She could barely make a sound. The word was almost a croak. "Yes."

"Katie..." Again.

She tried harder to speak. "Yes."

"Katie..." More insistent now.

"Katie! Wake up!" A woman's voice broke through to her.

Katie sat up in the bed, momentarily confused. She flipped on the lamp and looked around at the fixtures of her bedroom. What had awakened her?

"Katie!" The voice was anxious now, urgent. It was clearer than it had ever been.

"Hello?" She slid out of the bed and checked her phone. Three a.m. again. "Hello?"

Suddenly a child's scream split the night. Katie rushed to the bedroom door and out into the hall. Walter's door burst open at the same time.

"Did you hear that?" He was already running toward the stairs.

Katie fell into step behind him. "I think it was Delia!"

Walter took the steps two at a time. The French doors to the garden were open. Delia stood on the patio, crying.

"Delia! What's wrong?" Katie rushed to her.

Walter swept her up in his arms. "Delia, sweetheart, what are you doing outside in the middle of the night?"

"I don't know." Delia sobbed. "I'm scared."

"Poor Delia." Walter comforted her. He carried her toward the house. "Let's get you inside."

Katie looked around at the darkened garden. The waning moon cast an eerie light over the grounds and a light fog drifted along the ground. There was no one around.

"Come on, Delia." Katie smiled for the girl, but she was still a little uneasy. "Back to bed."

"I had a bad dream." Delia sniffled against Walter's shoulder. "Arabella wouldn't help me."

"It was just a dream, sweetie." Katie assured her. "You're safe."

Walter hugged his daughter. He motioned for Katie to lock the doors behind her. "Come on, Delia. I'll tuck you in."

"She wouldn't help me." Delia sobbed, more heartbroken than scared. "I asked Arabella to help me, but she wouldn't."

**