22.

* tw: gaslighting and potential toxic behavior, if uncomfortable, please skip after the mark.

It was a day after a gruesome long final examination, an exasperated Mingyu exiting his class with a soft sigh. After the crowd dispersed, he spots a certain someone waving and jumping up and down to get his attention. His face stiffens but he could no longer escape when she jogged her way in front of her.

"How was your exams?" Soojin asked, a smile forming. Her steps are suddenly on edge, waiting for the tall lad to reply.

"Fine," Mingyu answered and walked passed her. She didn't miss a step and followed him, humming cheerfully as ever.

"Do you want to go to the nearby coffee shop that opened across the street?" Mingyu was then thinking of countless reasons to turn her down but she gave him no room to refuse. She grabbed his arm and started dragging him across campus.

"I'm busy," He reasoned out but Soojin scoffed.

"The exams just finished, come on. Don't be a kill joy," She stopped in her tracks and flashed him her newly bought wallet. "Don't worry, I'll be paying."

It wasn't about whether or not he'll lose money or he'll go with her, he was just tired. Frying his brain for his final major exams depleted him and he had no energy to even socialize, not even the slightest bit.

* the mark begins here *

It went on like that even afterwards, ever since Soojin saw how badly he was broken one fateful day, she felt the need to plant a place in his life. It was like a weed growing in the garden, spreading like wild fire and hard to get rid of.

"Are you sure you're going to be fine?" She asked, staring at Mingyu.

"Why wouldn't I be?" He didn't actually mean that. He was standing in front of the doctor's office after a week of sleepless nights. Do I need help? Thoughts like this crowd his mind, after countless nightmares and insomniac moments, did he really need help?

"I mean," Soojin coughed. "I don't think you need to go this far. You're okay, you'll be okay. You just need to think positive," He looked at her, trying to decipher what it was she wanted to say. "You can always go to me when you need help." She added.

Mingyu wanted to say something but he couldn't put it into words. He knew she was already going out of her way to be there for him. What can I possibly say?

"I want this," Mingyu exclaimed. Everything started blurring out of his memories ever since he lived under his father. It was too much for him to bear, to even remember. It was as if the memories started blocking themselves. However, there are nights wherein they just swarm all together. The pain, the memories, the trauma. He just wanted to run away from them.

"But do you need this?" Soojin blurted. He frowned but the girl had more to say to further root herself inside his very soul. "Don't you think you're fine, with me being there for you?"

It was as if he was being brainwashed, his mind subconsciously convincing itself of what the woman was telling him. He recalled the nights wherein he couldn't sleep and Soojin would miraculously knock, snacks in hand asking him if he was up for movie nights. When he suddenly remembers something base on what he sees or hears, it triggers a reaction— an anxiety attack and Soojin would snoop right in and help him go through it. She was always there, at the perfect time, the perfect place. She was there, perfectly that he started to doubt his own thoughts of her.

"I—" Maybe she was right, Mingyu thought. That this was a fleeting feeling, coming at him at random and will just disappear sooner or later. He was blessed with a friend to help him get through it, so maybe, she is right.