Sixteen

A/N: Last two chapters. Thank you for staying on... these ones were the most painful to write.

The day of the release of the issue about The Blender, Alden's restaurant, finally arrived. As expected, more people learned about them and were eager to check them out. They did not anticipate it to be as huge as it turned out, so Alden decided to hire a social media manager to respond to the messages in the Facebook and Instagram accounts. He also decided to open the restaurant strictly for reservations only. Another three weeks passed and eveything was back in order.

Alden and Maine already established a routine. Alden picks Maine up in the morning, he drives to his restaurant and Maine takes his car. In the evening, Maine continues to work in his office.

Today is the third time he found Maine sleeping on the table. He touched her cheek and noticed how cold they were.

"Babe, wake up," he said.

"Hmmm?"

"I'll take you home. You look pale... are you feeling okay?" He asked.

"I don't know," she answered and it made him worry a little bit more.

He lifted the handset of his deskphone and talked.

Bernice, kaya n'yo dito magclose? I need to leave.

Yes, Chef, kaya po. Ingat po kayo.

Thank you.

He felt something off as soon as they were in the car.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" He asked.

Tears started to well up in her eyes.

"Alden, I missed my period," she told him.

"What?" He answered and pulled her to a hug. "Kailan pa ito?"

"A week and a half," she said.

He pulled away and wiped her tears.

"Bakit ngayon mo lang sinasabi ito sa akin?"

"Because I don't want you to worry, ako lang dapat mag-isip," she struggled to say.

It broke his heart to a million pieces, he couldn't bear to see her in pain.

"Have you tested?" He asked.

She shook her head.

"I haven't thought of it. Hindi rin ako makaisip mabuti," she said to him.

"Let's get you to a doctor now, so we know what to do."

He called a few people until he got a hold of an OB. He took her to a clinic where she got tested and scanned.

"It's negative and based on the information you gave me, you should have already been in your 7th to 8th week. But your TVS results show thickened lining and no sac. It's hormonal... what I can do is give you meds to induce your period," the doctor told them.

She was not pregnant.

He took her home that night and tucked her in.

"You sleep... I'll lock the doors when I leave," he told her.

Those were the only words he said to her after the visit to the doctor. He saw that she was in pain and he couldn't find the right thing to say or do. He blamed himself... this was what he was afraid of. With tears in his eyes, he left that night, not knowing if he can ever go back.

The following morning, he went straight to the restaurant instead of going to Maine, but nearly an hour later, he called for Jared.

"Chef,  you called for me?" He asked.

"Red, pwede ba akong mag-off ng dalawang araw? Can you manage?"

"Yes, chef... okay ka ba? Anything I can help with?"

He shook his head.

"Thank you, Red. I just need help around here. You call the shots for two days."

"I got it, Chef."

He went home. He fought the urge of going to Maine or contacting her because he didn't want to cause her anymore pain than she's feeling now.  But because he couldn't keep his mind off her, called his cousin, Jen.

Hello, Alden.

Jen, nasa Sumville ka?

Yes... why?

Hanggang kailan kayo d'yan?

Dennis said a week. Bakasyon s'ya eh. Bakit? Everything okay?

Favor... can you check on Maine?

Oh why... is she sick? Teka.

Please call her or go to her. Tapos, pwede mo akong i-update?

Yes... but why don't you go to her?

Hindi na yata dapat?

What? Anong nangyayari?

Please, Jen?

Okay sige sige...

He waited for Jen to call him back, but a few minutes later, he tried calling her again. She did not pick up, so he waited some more.

Jen calling...

Hello, Jen.

Alden, you should go and see her. She's waiting for you.

Kasalanan ko lahat Jen.

She did not tell me what happened. Ikaw din ayaw mong sabihin... she's not sick. I made sure she ate even half an apple, but she's not okay.

Can you check on her from time to time?

Oo naman... kahit hindi mo sabihin, but please talk to her.

I can't hurt her anymore.

You are hurting her.

Just, please, check on her, Jen?

I will.

The next day, he left to get a few items from the grocery. As he was walking inside, he saw her. From a few meters away, their gaze met.

There was no turning back, he had to approach her. Her eyes were swollen from crying and she was wearing her glasses. He wanted to run to her and hug her, but he was scared that it would only make things worse.

"Maine," he started.

"Love," she greeted. "How are you?"

He saw how she struggled to keep that tear from escaping her eye. Ako pa rin ang iniisip mo kahit gago ako.

"I'm not too good," he managed to say. "Bakit lumabas ka?"

"I needed a few things. Di mo ako pinuntahan. Di ka din pumasok sa resto?"

He shook his head. He wanted to wipe the tears that fell from her eyes, he needed to hug her, but he stood there and did nothing.

She took a tissue from her purse and dried her eyes.

"Sorry, di ko mapigilan eh. Sige... una na ako," she told him and started to walk away.

He couldn't move from where he was standing, he stared blankly at nothing.

And then from a distance he saw cans falling from the shelves. Maine was down on the floor, unconscious.

"Maine!" He shouted and ran to her.