Tired of Hiding

Helen's POV

"Sharpe!" I snapped my head in the direction where the sound of my name was coming from. I knew by heart that voice that was calling me. It was him.

"You're here. I thought you're coming tomorrow?" He said, more like questioning what I am doing at the hospital when I am still on leave and not supposed to be here.

"Hi, Max. Well, I'm here now. I waited for a stand-by flight to be here earlier. How are you?" I asked in my cold voice. This is definitely not the welcome I was hoping for after that stupid voice message. Here's right there, standing beside me as if nothing happened. What was the message all about?

"Not so great at first. I almost lost my wedding ring. What are you doing here?" So much for hoping, Helen. I thought to myself. It's clear that he's not ready for anything.

"I was just getting some files but I have to go now, I'm still tired from the flight. See you, Max." I said my goodbye as fast as I can and walked towards the hospital lobby and when I heard Max calling my name again.

"Sharpe! Can I walk with you? We don't have to talk. I just want to walk with you." He said with so much longing in his eyes. I know that look in his eyes because it's the same one that I have every time I look at him but he keeps confusing me with his words and gestures. But how can I resist him? I can never say so no to him so I just nodded and waited for him to catch up with me.

Oh the irony of it all, me waiting for him to catch up, take a step forward, and take the lead.

We just walked until we reached my doorstep. Staying true to his words, he did not utter any word while we were walking and his last word to me was just a double-bye. I shut the door and went straight to my bathroom. I just wanted to wash off all the stress and tiredness I felt today from my mum's diagnosis even though it wasn't cancer it was still a bad case of the pulmonary disease to waiting for a flight and hoping that the man that I've been loving for almost 3 years now will finally reciprocate my feelings.

So much for hoping, Sharpe. I thought to myself once again.

I was just in my underwear and a fluffy robe while removing my makeup when I heard a loud banging on my front door. I hurried downstairs and I didn't know why I didn't even bother to take a peak in the peephole, I just swung it open to reveal Max with the same eyes he was sporting all night. Before I found any word, he stepped into my house to close the gap between us and started to fervently kiss me.

I shut the door while we were still kissing and when I ran out of breath, I looked into his face, his eyes are closed and I could feel his heavy breathing. I touched his face to make sure that I am not dreaming, that he's actually here.

When I regained my senses, I started talking, "Max. What was that?" I asked carefully.

"Helen, I cannot pretend anymore. God! I've been wanting to do that since the first time I saw you. I know it sounds awful because I was still married to Georgia and now that she's gone, it might still sound bad but I cannot lie to myself anymore. I want you, Helen. When I called you, every word I said over the phone was true. I've been dreaming to be with you, in all the ways I can imagine."

"Oh Max..."

"I'm so sorry it took me so long to be brave enough to take a step. I'm sorry that I kept confusing you. I'm sorry for bringing up my wedding ring today when I saw you at the Dam. I'm sorry for hurting you and for being so dense to not see or acknowledge every sacrifice you've done for me. Forgive me, please?"

"Max, you don't have to say sorry, okay? You were grieving the loss of your wife. I know that she will always hold a piece of your heart just like Mo is to me. She is Luna's mother. It's okay. You don't have to say sorry. Now, what are we going to do?" I asked courageously.

"I just want to be here, be with you. Is that okay? We will figure out everything tomorrow. I just want to rest tonight, with you." He said.

"Okay, but where's Luna?"

"She's with Iggy and Martin. They said they wanted to babysit her after knowing about the custody battle with my in-laws."

"Okay, that's good. Let's go upstairs." I said while holding out my hand for him to grab so I can lead him upstairs to my bedroom.

"That's some tempting clothing, Dr. Sharpe. Are you waiting for someone to ravish you?" He asked mockingly while wiggling his eyebrows. At first, I didn't what he was talking about until I found a pair of my nightwear placed on top of my bed and for the first time, I didn't know how to respond to his wit.

When he sensed my panic, he just hugged me and said, "Hey, calm down. We don't have to do anything tonight. I came here to be with you, yes but we will not do anything we are not ready for. I just want to be with you, close to you. Go relax in your shower, I'll wait for you here."

And with that, I went inside my shower area and relaxed knowing that the person I love, loves me too.

I walked out of my bedroom to see Max standing in front of my floor-to-ceiling glass wall talking on the phone and I bravely walked behind him and hugged him from the back. He turned around and ended the call.

"Hey, you." He said with a smile that could melt my heart in an instant. I was so small compared to him but I liked it. I felt protected and secured.

"Wait here. I'll grab you a pair of pajamas and a shirt. I'm pretty sure I still have some of Mo's clothes here." I walked to my closet and tried to find a pair that could fit Max. Max changed to Mo's clothes and when he walked out of the bathroom, I snorted. He's big but Mo was bigger so the clothes were kind of bigger to Max.

"What are you laughing at?" He asked, pretending to be upset.

I didn't answer and he asked again, "How big Mo was? I'm already a big guy and this is still bigger." He asked amusedly and without a hint of jealousy. "He's a little bigger than Reynolds" I replied and he started laughing.

"I can't imagine you and him. You're a midget, Sharpe!" I didn't say anything but I gave him a good smacking. When I didn't stop smacking him, he just enveloped me in a hug and kissed my head. He's very smooth.

When he let me go I asked, "Are you sure you want to sleep with me tonight? I have an extra room if you're not ready yet. It's okay, Max if you don't want to. The guest room is on the other side of the hallway."

"Helen, stop. I want to be with you. Besides, we will only sleep and maybe you don't want me in your bed?" He asked and I know he was just teasing me.

"Okay, fine. Let's go. I don't know about you but I'm so tired already. And mostly because of you." I said mockingly.

He lay beside me and pulled me into his body and said, "I know. I'm sorry. I promise no more hiding, no more confusion. I love you, Sharpe. Goodnight."

To say that it was my best sleep in a long time would be an understatement. I finally slept peacefully, contented, and happy.

We will figure out the rest, together.

---------------------------------------

Author's Note

Hi Dam Fam! This is my first time writing a story about #sharpwin. Please let me know if you like it or not! Hahaha! Thank you! 

Til my next story. 

xoxo

APA0927

PS Keep safe, everyone!