Part 20: "I love you."

An ear-splitting cry startled me out of my sweet dreamland. At first, I figured it was just my imagination, but then a list of profanities drifted in through my window.

I sat bolt upright in bed, causing a throbbing headache to spring. I couldn't care in the slightest.

Damen was in trouble!

I stumble out of bed and rush to the big window on the wall across from it. I unlock the latch and push it upward with some difficulty, dust falling off of it and onto my face and hair. Gripping the sill, I lean out of the window. A chill of winter air slapped at my bare torso.

"Damen?" I called out, rubbing my eyes to adjust to the wind rushing at me.

As soon as I laid my eyes on him, I wished I hadn't.

His lips were bloodied and his sweat-dampened black hair stuck to his face as he tussled around angrily with somebody.

Squinting closer, I could make out Isaac's muscles contracting and shifting beneath a thin white wifebeater. The back of his neck was smooth leading up the line of his soft, sandy brown hair. He ended up pinned underneath Damen again and his facial features were more clear.

A grey jacket lay flatly on the gravel of my driveway.

My mother scurried out suddenly, trying to rip Damen off of Isaac's massive body. Though Isaac was more masculine, Damen had quite a height advantage.

I stared in shock as she grasped his shoulders, trying to yank him back as he threw rough punches at Issac's bruised face.

Issac struggled beneath him, but Damen dug his knee into his groin to stop him.

I winced.

"Damen! That is enough!" Mom shrieked, giving a futile shove at him.

"Damen!" I screamed out the window, shivering with fear.

He hardly acknowledged me, but both my mother and Isaac stared up at me, clearly surprised that I was watching.

I yelled at him again, but he still ignored.

If I didn't stop this soon, Damen would achieve his goal and Isaac would be dead.

Gathering up every ounce of courage I possess, I tug on pajama pants and bolt out of my bedroom, almost toppling down the stairs.

I flung the door open and rushed to Damen.

My mom bawled helplessly as she watched the two of them killing each other, gripping Isaac's truck hood for bipedal support.

"Damen, stop!" I commanded, lunging at him and tackling him onto his back.

"What the hell?!" He cries out in frustration, his eyes turning icy as he pants.

"I could ask the same of you!" I huff, holding his shoulders against the ground.

Isaac stays laying limply and grasping his sides.

There's a silence.

"I-I'm gonna call the cops if someone doesn't explain what the hell is going on here." My mom demands unsurely, quivering with anxiety.

Damen and I eye each other for a while before I dismount him and get to my feet. I don't bother offering a hand to help him up.

"C'mere..." I order softly, holding my arms open to my mother.

She walked into my arms willingly and I held her petite body closely, swaying ever so slightly back and forth.

Damen and Isaac stared at us with guilty expressions.