Part 1

Violet sat on her dorm's living room couch, scrolling through her social feed, her phone on silent so she didn't wake anyone up. Sure, her roommates' doors were all shut, and yeah, she was far enough away that they probably wouldn't hear anything if she stayed on a low volume, but she didn't want to risk it, not tonight. Not while she was in this state.

She'd be the first to tell you that she's great at keeping herself together. She credits the thousands of hate comments and mean messages she revives far too often for her to be soft; for someone to make it in her chosen industry, they've gotta be able to have a good poker face. A good poker tone. A good poker personality when things get hard.

But, right now, Violet didn't have any of those things going on. She was alone, like really alone; everyone was asleep, so she was the only one around.

She could've stayed in her dorm room and just dealt with it all there. Cry her eyes out into a pillow then pass out. And she would've been as quiet as a mouse; Violet had mastered the art of silent crying long ago, back in her elementary school years, and has mastered the skill completely. But she didn't feel like doing that. Not tonight.

No; tonight she sat, curled up on the couch with her knees to her face, just below her eyes so she could still see her phone screen. But, well, that didn't really matter since her tears made her vision blurry, but she could still see enough that the scrolling wasn't a complete lost cause.

So, Violet went on rapidly blinking and scrolling, with the occasional stop to scrub her sight clear and leave a comment or two on mutual's post. Huh. She wonders what'll happen when she presses the upload button.

She's sure that maybe a couple would dip when she publicly came out because they "didn't think it was right" or that it just "wouldn't fit with their brand, their reputation", but those were people she knew she wouldn't care to have in her life anymore anyway. But that's not what she was afraid of. For once in her life, Violet was afraid of this becoming its usual spectacle.

She'd witnessed it dozens of times. People come out, they get positive reception and support at first, thousands of comments saying they make such a cute couple, but it doesn't last long until the questions start rolling in. Personal questions. Way too personal, like downright disgusting, and that's only the public side she's seen; Violet can't imagine what sick things out people are privately messaged, and she wasn't exactly eager to find out.

Her thumb hovered over the upload button, a part of her just wanting to get this done and over with; this is the hardest step to take, isn't it? Things might be...difficult...but they'd get past it; social media hadn't had any effect on their relationship before, so this shouldn't be any different, right?

She'd given Violet her blessing to "make it official" online, but Violet didn't know if Skyler was fully aware of what hellfire that would bring to them, to her.

But she said she'd do it and she wanted to do it. She wanted to brag to her fans about her gorgeous girlfriend, to shout from the rooftops about how much she loved Skyler and how she's helped ground her, center her, yet support her in every way and how even though all her designs are incredible but she still manages to impress Violet with every sketch and maybe post pictures of their dates and maybe even the promposal she'd started planning the second she and Skyler became official and-

Posted.

Violet threw her phone to the other side of the room, and hit the wall with a thud.