Chapter 1: Nothing to Prove

June 14th, 1943.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Stephanie Grace Rogers waited in a room wearing a slip around dozens of men, she was nervous about what they were going to say about her, if she could be recruited into the United States Armed Forces.

Enlistment Officer #1: "(calls out) O'Connell, Michael. Kominsky, Henry."**

As the officer called out each name of the men that were waiting. Stephanie was reading a newspaper which had the title, "U-BOATS TORPEDO SHIP OFF VIRGINIA COAST". A man that was sitting next to her was also reading a newspaper, which said "NAZIS RETAKE ZHITOMIR".

Stephanie: "Boy, a lot of guys getting killed over there."**

Enlistment Officer #1: "(calls out) Rogers, Stephanie."

When Stephanie heard her name, she stood up and put the newspaper she was reading in the chair.

Solder #1: "It kind of makes you think twice about enlisting, eh doll?"

Stephanie: "(simply responds) Nope. (takes a few steps before looking back at the soldier) And by the way, don't call me doll. (she says firmly as she walks away)"**

Stephanie walks over to the desk where the Enlistment Officer was reading her file.

Enlistment Officer #1: "(looks at Stephanie's file while talking) Rogers. (He looks up and sees Stephanie. He was a little surprised to see that Stephanie was a woman, but he looked back down at the file and continued talking) What did your father die of?"**

Stephanie: "Mustard gas. He was in the 107th infantry. I was hoping I could be assigned... (she was interrupted)"**

Enlistment Officer #1: "Your mother?"**

Stephanie: "She was a nurse in a TB Ward. Got hit, couldn't shake it."**

The officer still looks at Stephanie's file, he sees all of her health issues. He looks back up and gives Stephanie a stern look.

Enlistment Officer #1: "Sorry ma'am."

Stephanie: "(her eyes widened) Please sir. I..."

Enlistment Officer #1: "First off, women can't enlist to begin with. And, even if you were a guy, you'd be ineligible for your asthma alone, not to mention all of your other ailments. Especially your eye vision. Do yourself a favor, sweetheart and go home."

Stephanie looked down in shame, she knew that her vision was best because of her glasses. Her glasses were her father's, they were one of the only things left from him that her mother gave to her.

Stephanie: "Just please. Give me a chance. Is there anything you can do?"

Enlistment Officer #1: "I'm doing it, I'm saving your life."**

He stamped my papers with a "4F" symbol. Stephanie frowned and she got dressed and left in shame.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cuts to later that afternoon, Stephanie went to the movies to make herself feel better. She walks up to the ticket booth.

Stephanie: "Hello Ms. Margaret."