Chapter 1

"Where are we going?" Kirika kept to Oriko's heels, trying not to get left behind. "Do you know where she is?"

"No," Oriko replied evenly. "But I need to find Madoka. Or Rena. If I could just warn them-"

"How are you going to do that?" Kirika was confused. "Aren't they up in the skies somewhere?"

"Yes," Oriko stopped walking. Holding out a hand, she let her soul gem come out, a ball of pale blue that quickly solidified into a gleaming soul gem.

"Transform with me," Oriko ordered, distracted as she released her magic, letting it clothe her in her pale-coloured magical girl outfit. "I need your magic."

Kirika said nothing, but pulled out her blood red soul gem.

"Hold the magic I send into you," Oriko closed her eyes, sitting on the ground cross-legged. Kirika sat next to her, letting her magic transform her as she settled on the ground.

Kirika glanced at Oriko and saw that the older girl's face was set in a determined and focused expression. As she looked on, she felt her soul gem pulse.

Looking down, Kirika saw her soul gem glowing brighter than ever as magic flowed into it, from an unknown source. A foreboding sense of dread made her turn to Oriko's soul gem, clasped in Oriko's pale hands.

The once brilliant blue soul gem now darkened with the second, grey cloud-like despair flooding through it as Oriko continued channeling her magic into Kirika.

"Oriko?" Kirika whispered, not wanting to disturb Oriko's plans, but fearing for her best friend. "Hey, are you okay?"

Oriko's face barely flickered as she continued to meditate, magic flowing from her to coil inside Kirika's soul gem. Dread coiled in Kirika's stomach like the magic that continued to coil within her soul gem. Oriko's soul gem darkened dangerously by the minute, now a dusky, blue and black. Kirika couldn't help wondering what would happen if her soul gem turned completely black.

A drone filled her ears, registering slowly in her mind. Glancing up, she saw Oriko's lips moving slightly as she muttered something.

Leaning forward, Kirika heard Oriko's barely audible voice mumbling the same words over and over.

"Madoka, Madoka, Madoka, Madoka..."

As she spoke, her soul gem trembled visibly in her hands. A crack appeared, as darkness continued to overflow, seeking a way out of her soul gem. As her soul gem struggled to contain the growing despair, Kirika saw Oriko's body tense and tremble as well, affected.

Why wasn't Madoka coming?

Oriko's mouth opened, a silent gasp escaping as her body fell to the ground, a dull thud resounding.

"Oriko!" Kirika didn't hesitate to scramble over to Oriko's still form and the almost pitch black soul gem.

~~~

"That's better," Mami beamed at Sayaka and Yuuki. "Do you want to try again?"

They sat in a park, in the edge of a clearing, away from all the other families having a picnic. Who knew what they would think if they noticed the three of them using magic?

"I'll pass," Sayaka shook her head. "I've done enough for today." She yawned, stretching her arms out.

"Mind if I try?" Red hair bobbed into view as Kyoko crouched into the circle, her teeth bared into a wicked grin.

"Did you see what we were doing?" Yuuki looked surprised. "I didn't realise anyone was watching."

"Me and Yuma were playing spies," Kyoko's white teeth flashed as she looked up. "Come on down, Yuma!"