Be Careful What You Wish For - The End

Standing in the New Orleans apartment, Alex rummaged in desk drawer and drew out her cell phone.

"First, Chinese food," she announced. "We need something delivered."  She hit speed dial. "Next, we rent some DVD's if the cable or satellite dish isn't on. Anyone got a problem with that?"

"Where is this place?" Gabe asked as his gaze swept the living room.

"Morgan tracked me to the carriage house so Grange relocated Dr. Dewey and Mary to a safe place. He found us this apartment, still in New Orleans, and it has two bedrooms. It's a chopped up house and the other three apartments are rented by his people. They'll shoot Morgan on sight. Any other questions?" Alex said.

"Not for now," Gabe replied with formality and sat stiffly on the couch.

After dinner, Rile kicked the empty Chinese food containers off the coffee table but Alex didn't object.

"Tomorrow, Cajun food and I pick the movies," Rile announced.

"Fine." Alex laid her head on Rile's shoulder. "Gabe, this sucks most for you. I'm sorry it worked out like this."

"Temporary setback," Cale said firmly.

"I don't know." Gabe looked out the window.

"I do. Temporary. Setback," Cale said in the same firm tone. "We're too young to settle down. Did you take a good look at Kini?" Cale gave a fake shudder, making them laugh and Gabe turned around.

"Did you see how she looked at me?" Alex asked.

"No Gabe for you!" Rile replied merrily, and they all laughed again.

Much much later, Alex sat up in the bed she was sharing with Rile. Rile, always awake at her slightest movement, watched her.

"I want to talk to Gabe. Can you hear from here or do you need to get up?" Alex asked.

"Are you telling me to eavesdrop?" Rile asked with a grin as he propped up on one elbow.

"I positively encourage it. Of course, I'll never be able to throw you a surprise birthday party." She tapped his blunt muzzle with one finger.

He kissed her lightly on the lips. "I can live with that."

She picked up her Guardian sword.

Rile sat straight up. "Alex, remember what I said about using your Guardian sword on another Guardian!"

She smiled indulgently at him. "Really, Rile, you think my swordsmanship is anywhere near Gabe's that I would even try to attack him? Why would I even attack him?"

"Because, the love of my life, you are quite crazy, especially around my oldest brother."

Alex smacked the flat of the blade on her palm. "Not that crazy, and I'm not angry with Gabe. This is more of a visual reminder of what I am. May I go now?"

Rile smirked and then kissed her again. "Have fun."

When Alex entered the living room, Gabe was staring gloomily at the TV while Cale drowsed in a recliner.

"You're up late. Not often someone can outlast Cale in front of the TV." Alex sat down next to him, laid her Guardian sword at their feet, and Gabe shrugged.

"I know this isn't what you planned, but it will work out, you'll see. Cale's right – you're too young to settle down right now."

Gabe changed the channel.

"Will you talk to me or am I going to beat it out of you?" Alex asked in exasperation.

"Do you think you can?" Gabe changed the channel again.