Chapter 4.

A car honk sounded through Jacque's little house. She jumped and spilt a little of the Orange juice she was holding in her hand. She quickly pulled out a tissue from its box and wiped at her forest green blazer.
Car honks always startled her. She never liked them. At least since two years ago...

Jacque shook the thought out of her head and opened the front door. It revealed Makenzie in the driver's seat of an expensive looking car with the hood down.

Jacque walked over and laughed. She knew Makenzie came off as the type who was stubborn. She wasn't surprised Makenzie's here, though Jacque had turned her offer down.

"It's nice to see you laugh. I think it's the first since I've met you." Makenzie smiled.

Jacque put up her hand, signaling Makenzie to wait while she went back in the house.

She came back out with her school bag slung over her shoulder, and a blueberry muffin on her hand. She handed it to Makenzie, who gave her a puzzled look before taking it.

Jacque slid into the sports car, and both Makenzie drove them both to school.

"Say, this muffin is great! You made em?" Makenzie asked with her mouth full.

"My grandma did. She's pretty amazing." Jacque smiled while thinking of her gams.

"Your parents cook as well as she does?" Makenzie asked.

"My parents... They're dead." Jacque stated, trying to seal all emotions up and prevent them from coming through her voice box.

The car was silent.

"I'm sorry. I mean it." Makenzie finally said.

"It's alright, Makenzie it was awhile back. I'm getting over it." Jacque said, still trying not to feel emotional.

Soon after, Makenzie pulled up at Eminent High's parking lot.

"Sorry you're in school early. I know you have study period the first hour." Makenzie apologized.

"It's alright, I'm grateful for the ride. I can just hang out in the library for a sec." Jacque explained.

"I'll see you at lunch, okay?" Makenzie brisk walked to class after giving Jacque a little wave.

Jacque sighed and walked to the library of the school.

After half an hour, she needed to pee.

Jacque got up from her seat and looked for the ladies. When she was done, she smoothened out her skirt and her long blonde hair with her fingers. Satisfied that she looked neat, she pushed the door of the ladies room open and went out to the hallways.

She heard laughter coming from next door. Curiosity got the better of her again, and she found herself peeping slightly into the almost empty classroom. She made out a few voices, about 3 guys. But she knew very well the ice cold voice of one guy. Nik.

Jacque took another step forward and looked into the room.

"Please stop. Please." Lucas pleaded, beads of sweat rolling down his forehead.

Artem, Landon and Ricky laughed.

"You want me to stop? You could just say it. Say you'll leave the school. And we're done here, poor boy." Nik suggested, though knowing very well what Lucas's answer would be.

Jacque stilled. Her breath caught in her throat. She calmed herself down before looking back into the classroom. What she saw sent adrenaline running through her veins.

Nik held a couple of tennis balls on his hands. He took one, and sent it flying straight to Lucas's arm. Lucas let out a shout, and his other arm shot out to soothe the pain of the wounded arm. He looked up with pure hatred in his eyes, panting heavily.

"What, you mad Luc-boy? What are you gonna do about it?" Nik taunted with a smirk on his face. Again, his eyes held no humour in it.

Lucas just continued staring at Nik with angry eyes. This pissed Nik off.

Nik raised his hand, aiming the tennis ball with a dead aim that was sure to hit Lucas on the head. Jacque knew this well.

Nik was about to release his hold on the tennis ball when he heard a faint yet strong voice coming from his side.
Artem, Landon and Ricky all looked up to the door in surprise.

"Stop." Jacque said. Her voice soft, she almost thought she hadn't said it out loud. "Please stop doing that." She looked to her black shoes and finally found the courage to look up.

All the boys in the room were staring at her, including Lucas. Her eyes roamed over to Lucas. He was giving her a look that was telling her to stop whatever she was trying to do.

Just then, the sound of a chair moving broke the silence.

Nik stood up from his seat and took relaxed steps over to the new girl.

Jacque saw him rise to his full height and was greatly intimidated. He was probably about 6 foot 1. Compared to her 5 foot 5, regret swelled in her chest as she realized what she just did. Before she could think of anything else to do, Nik was in front of her, looking down to her.

Jacque lifted her face up to look at him. For a second there she remembered how perfect his face was. Grey eyes, sharp nose, ridiculously defined jaw, full lips that had a slight crack. And then he spoke.

"New girl. Care to repeat yourself?"

Jacque's words were stuck in her throat. She was scared. No, she was terrified. She stared at Nik dumbfounded, too frightened to even move.

"Who are your parents?"

Silence.

"I asked you a question, blondie."

All the boys in the room were staring at her, waiting for her answer.

The tension was thick in the classroom. Finally, Jacque found her voice.

"I-my parents-they uh-" she struggled on what to say. Should she lie? But then again, Nik's glare pierced through her, he seemed like the type who could tell when someone was lying. Jacque felt like she was going to faint from fear. Good thing she peed before she heard the commotion. She would have no doubt peed herself under his cold, hard stare.

Just then, a familiar voice came into the picture.

"She's new, she's lost. I'm taking her back now." Jacque recognized Makenzie's confident voice, and it relieved her.

Makenzie tugged into Jacque's arm, willing to pull her out of that classroom. But Nik stepped forward and grabbed Jacque's wrist. Jacque gasped in fear.

"I won't ask again. Who are your parents?" Nik repeated, slower this time.

Tears started to well up Jacque's eyes. One, because of the constant reminder of her parents. Two, because she knew at any moment now, that her fate would be exactly like Lucas's.

Makenzie looked over at Landon, silently pleading for him to step in and help. Landon sensed her plea in her eyes and trud over to Nik.

"Hey, man let the girl go. She's scared shitless."

Nik still held tightly into Jacque's wrist, not budging.

Landon saw the worry in Makenzie's eyes. He pushed Nik slightly away from Jacque, saying "Leave the girl. She's new. She knows nothing."
Nik let go of her wrist.

Jacque rubbed her wrist, and allowed herself to be pulled away by Makenzie.

___________________________

Thoughts? :-)

Vote/comment!