prologue: the workings of pain & art

"Death is not to be dwelled on." The figure loomed over me, all but a silhouette of what seemed to be anything but human. Though, I didn't have the energy to care. The weight in my lap shifted as my eyes fixated on the crumbling rocks surrounding me. Part of me wondered if I'd ever feel human again.

The figure was not wrong. Death was most certainly a common occurrence in such a line of duty. It was almost gambling, shinobi life. Lives, constantly taken and reformed. It came with no surprise that there were those who exceeded typical human ability, those refined to only the finest points and bound to the morals of their ninja way. I was accustomed to it, as all come to be. Even the tallest buildings come to fall. Although it seemed, almost at an instant, life was instead taken from me. Not in a literal sense, of course. Conscience still coursed within me, blood still stained my clothes. It was the last moment I'd felt  alive.

I wanted to take what the world took from me. No more would it fail to protect the innocence it created; no longer would it corrupt and rise. Life is a masterpiece. Its eternality makes it such, for even after it ends, your legacy lies with others. In a way, you live on, just as he does. Ending a masterpiece before its finale is an unforgivable crime. The world needed to pay for doing so.

And so they branded me with labels and such, the things they could not comprehend. Apathetic, cold-hearted, emotionless, they remarked. Admittedly, there was no need for emotion. Nobody deserved vulnerability, not after him. The shinobi world did not require such.

"You cannot save me. I was already damned the day I met you."