rebirth

Dead leaves crunched beneath my feet as I made my way to the Leaf's entrance. I stopped for a second, taking in the view of the green gates towering over me., my nails digging into the bag carrying my Akatsuki robe. To be part of an independent organization was dangerous enough, but being part of a rogue organization would have certainly denied me access to the Leaf, possibly even throwing me in prison.

I resorted back to the string of lies that landed me in Suna. I was always proficient in manipulation, good at getting people to pity me. It was as if I put my life on pause, creating a new version of myself all over again. I was young, around 18 years old, at the time of arriving at the village. A relic of the war, I was. A young woman left to wander after the destruction of her village many years before. To them, I was a new prospect, a hope of potential. The sparkle of the guards' eyes proved just.

I knew the drill, submitting to the orders of simple guards as they led me to an empty apartment. While I waited for the Hokage's call, I sat on the ground and started arranging my wardrobe. A wave of coldness ran through my body as I felt the silk of the Akatsuki robe run beneath my fingers. I slipped my hand through the inner pocket near the left breast. A picture of Sasori and I emerged. There, I clung to his left bicep with a beaming smile. A light coat of snow dusted his red hair. It was a picture from our first time in the Leaf village.

My body ran cold. I wondered if Sasori would've come looking for me in the Leaf. In truth, I knew he wouldn't. His pride was too great, his ego too unbearable for his own sake.

I slipped the photo into the nightstand beside my bed. A knock came from the door, a voice calling me to the Hokage's office followed.

An old man sat behind the rounded desk, much different from the blond one just a few months prior. I looked to my left, to the photos of the previous Hokage. A still image of the blond man stared back at me. I pondered on his fate. Was it enough to die for your village? Did your people honestly hold you in high regard?  The level of loyalty and trust that resided in the Hidden Leaf was quite unknown to me.

"A woman of great power, you are. (Y/n), I presume?" the man asked.

"Correct, Lord Hokage."

"Your reputation precedes you; I've heard dangerous things about you during the war," he laughed.

I chucked with a strain to my voice. I wasn't foolish enough to raise suspicion by laughing too much or extending the conversation with unnecessary intent, no. Internally, I sighed of relief when Suna failed to be brought into the conversation. I thanked Sasori for that.

"I have to ask, why is there no documentation for a village anywhere?"

Again, I recited the web of lies that I had created just before entering the village. If it was anyone's sympathy I needed, it was most definitely the Hokage's. I headed back to my apartment after our brief meeting. A flak jacket and a black Hidden Leaf headband rested in my arms.

"May I walk with you?" a woman spoke.

I looked over to my right, "Of course." She was alluring, captivating. Long untamed hair cradled her shoulders, red lips complimenting her eyes of the same color.

"My name is Kurenai. There aren't many women in the jonin ranks, so I thought we should stick together." She looked at me with a welcoming smile.

I hadn't had another woman close in friendship since Konan. It wouldn't hurt to make connections in the Leaf. I gave her a reassuring smile and went about my newly-created self.