Chapter One ~ Mistral

(POV: Mistral)

~~~

Saying I hated summer was an understatement.

Summer was always just a horrible time.

No school meant no place to go and no place for me to just hide away for a bit. I was stuck at home and every minute was just painful.

I would try to go out every day, but I would eventually have to go back.

By the end of the first month of vacation, I had once again started debating about just running away.

Not like it would even work, though. There was nowhere I could go and I'd get caught immediately.

But maybe at least a night. Just stay away from home for a night and come back the next day. I had done it before. As long as I didn't draw attention to myself and stayed far away from streets, no one noticed. I've tried for longer than one night before, but that was too long. I guess I still needed to eat, and trying to get free food definitely didn't count as flying under the radar.

I just wanted to go back to school. That would make things easier. About forty hours a week where I could be away from home. Even longer if I tried to stay out more. Not like I even tried to, though. I had no excuse to stay after school, no clubs and no friends to hang out with. And by the end of each day I would just be so tired. It was easier, but annoying, going home right away.

It probably didn't help that I was starting at a new school soon.

Starting my first year at high school. Even if I did have friends I doubted I would be able to see any of them again.

Well... I may have had one friend, but would that even be what I call the guy that constantly tried talking to me? And he had plenty of other people he could talk to, everyone flocked to him already, he didn't have to choose me as a friend.

He was always just weird. We were assigned as partners on an assignment once and he just started talking with me everyday since. And when I didn't want to talk, he would write out his questions or comments on a notebook and pass it over to me. So ridiculous. I thought he would have been able to see how much I didn't want to talk to him, but he kept trying.

He would join me at lunch all the time and share his food with me, walk with me to my classes, and constantly ask if I was okay. Of course I told him I was. Always okay. It's not like I needed to tell him my whole life story.

But it was always me. He never got so friendly with anyone else who tried talking with him. Always me.

What was wrong with him?

And by the end of the school year, it got worse.

He gave me the notebook we would write in.

He bought a notebook specifically so he could chat with me through it and made sure to let me have it before the year ended.

As he said goodbye that day he gave me a hug, held me close and just told me how he would miss me. Why did it make me cry so much?

And when I finally got home afterwards, I found a long note from at the end of the notebook in his signature red ink.

It was all about how he was going to miss me and was so glad he got to meet me. He wanted to see me again and even get to know me better.

He was just an idiot. He didn't need to say so much. He didn't need to talk with me at all. He should have just left me alone.

But now it just hurt. Any time my thoughts went dark I would just think about his note again and start to wonder what he would think.

What if I went away? What if I disappeared? Would he be upset? Probably. And somehow the dark thoughts would leave me and I'll be left thinking about how annoying he was.