Chapter Five

We have been driving for over six hours. We hit the road early this morning, even before the sun was up. William was up before me, he was just sitting there waiting. I asked him why he didn't wake me. His reply was I looked so peaceful that he didn't want to disturb me. I went ahhhhh in my head. I think he didn't sleep much last night either. But exhaustion crept over me so quickly that I didn't even have a chance to worry about those who are chasing us. Every mile we go takes me further away from Regina and a bit closer to my safety.

We stop to fill up on gas. And me, of course, couldn't resist not going to the bathroom. At least this time William didn't bit my head off when I said I was going. Stepping out of the bathroom, I feel someone's hand going around my waist, pulling me closer to them and picking me up in the process. This action causes me to scream. I turn to see who it is to find a face I don't know.

The guys start to drag me to the black SUV. I start to scream and kick. Another one appears out of nowhere, grabbing my feet.

"William!" I scream so hard that my throat start to burn. "No, NO, NO!" Iscream.

Out of nowhere, William pulls the guy that's holding my feet away then gives the guy a punch in the face that sends him falling backward. The guy that's holding me throws me to the side, and I fall on the stones hands first, feeling the small rocks breaking skin. I turn to see the guy that grabbed me going down. Moments later, William and the first guy start throwing punches at each other, one hitting William straight on the jaw.

"Run!" William shouts at me.

I jump up and start sprinting to the truck. Jumping into the driver's seat, I start the truck and glance over my shoulder to see William. My heart skips a beat when I see him running my way. He's okay.

"Go!" William shouts as he jumps in. I speed off like a maniac. Williambarks orders. Left here, right there. I don't realize how much I was shaking until now or that I have been crying.

"Pull in there," William says, pointing out a busy parking lot. I find a perfect spot, where the truck blends in.

"Are you okay?" William asks, I can hear the concern in his tone.

I can't even shake my head no. I'm trembling. Releasing my grip from the steering wheel, I notice how chafed my hands are, both of them a bit bloody. William climbs out of the truck and makes his way to the driver's side. The last thing I need now is him telling me to grow a pair, or move to the side. He opens the door pulling me out of the truck, right into him. My head falls onto his chest. He pulls me closer. I start to cry even harder.

"They had me," I say between the sobs. "They had me."

"You're safe now," William says, trying to console me.

"I'm too afraid to think what could have happen if..." I can't bring myself to finish the thought. What would have happened if William didn't show up? I would probably be lying in a ditch now. William cradles my face in his hands, guiding my head upward, so I look at him.

"As long as I breathe, I won't let anything happen to you," Williampromises, leaving a kiss on my nose.

I can't say how long we stayed in that spot with William just holding me close to his body. His heart never slowing down. William then helped me clean my hands and bandage them. His lip is cracked open, but that's the only evidence showing he was in a match. William is turning out to be my knight in shining armour.

On the road again, I can't help notice William glancing my way every few minutes, asking me if my hands are okay, if I'm okay. When I told him it hurt, he actually took my one hand and gave it a kiss. The dramatic event of earlier today just brought us closer together.

William

I don't think I have ever been so scared in my life as I was earlier today. Hearing
Sophia scream my name brought out the fear of losing her. I knew I would do everything in my power to save her, even if it means giving up my life for hers. She's the one thing I didn't see coming. I didn't expect for her to be so beautiful, to have such a kind heart. I couldn't understand why Maria would risk her life to save someone else's. But now I do.

While speeding away, I could see how shaken up she was. I don't think she noticed how much her tears were flowing. I first thought I could take it, but I couldn't. When I pulled her out of the truck, all I wanted to do was kiss her. It took every fibre of my being not to.

I glance over to Sophia. Her adrenaline finally wore off. She's asleep with her head resting against the window. I stare a second longer. Taking in how her hair has a slight curl in them. How soft her lips look, and how long her lashes are. She is beautiful in all ways.

I know when I get her to Mexico, leaving her there will be one of the hardest things I will have to do in my life. I have done some pretty terrible, hard things that most people won't be able to do. But I did. But this I can't. I have to leave her there. She will be safer if I'm not there. I'm no good for her. She needs someone that will be able to give her everything she needs. I can't. The only thing I can do is to protect her. She is too sweet, too good of heart, too innocent to be corrupted by my world. My life has never been easy, I had to work hard for what I have. But somehow I think loving her will be easiest thing I could to. I know in this moment here, that my heart is falling for her and will always belong to Sophia.