Chapter 8

My ears were the first thing to come back. A beep played in the background. I know this beep. I tried to open my eyes, but it was as if they were bolted shut. People's voices came from around me. I finally got my eyes open. My mom, Ella, and my doctor were standing in front of me. I felt the fabric of the hospital blanket. "What?" I asked. "Your Stoma pouch has failed and we may think you've developed Crohn's. We're going to have to perform a permanent ileostomy." Doctor Kelly said. "So, I have to go back to Ohio?" I asked. "We don't know right now. We may have the equipment to do it here."  I laid my head on the bed. I

I didn't remember falling asleep, but my family and doctor were replaced with Matthew, Ashe, and Destiny. "Hi, guys." I said, weakly. Destiny moved towards me and gave me a look. I knew what she was thinking and I shook my head yes. Destiny wrapped her arms around me. "Destiny told us you said you were in pain. Mels, you know you're supposed to tell us if you're in pain." Ashe complained. "Matthew was there." I said, smiling. "I don't understand why you didn't tell me?" Matthew asked.  "I didn't want you to think I was sick." I told him.  He moved his hands onto mine. "I don't care that you're sick. I just want to make sure you're safe." We smiled at each other. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matthew visited as much as he could. On the night before my upper scoop, we were playing Monopoly. Matthew was losing. "I may have to go bankrupt." He said as he rolled. He landed on one of my properties, which had a hotel on it. "I was right." He stated. I laughed as my phone went off. It was an alarm to take part of my prep. I grabbed the cup, held my nose, and gulped. I almost gagged. It was horrible. "So, do you have to go to Columbus?" Matthew asked, placing the pieces of the game in the box. "Yeah, they're removing the rest of my colon. They'll just use my small intestine." I responded. Matthew moved the bedside table and had me scoot over. He sat next to me. As the T.V played in the background, I laid my head on his shoulder. He rubbed my shoulder. We watch the T.V in the background when my mom walked in. Matthew got up, talked with my mom, high-fived my sister, and gave me a hug. "Bye." He said grabbing his bag. "Bye."