Chapter 1

Amber shivered as she guided her horse and wagon through the healer's encampment.  It was already getting cooler in the valley and plains if she was shivering already.  Admittedly, the druid's groves were warmer by the nature of the druids, but a change in the weather was on its way.  Despite the weather beginning to change, people were out and about, maintaining the life of the warring camps and the healer's encampment.

Soldiers, children and fellow healers greeted her as she returned the greetings, a soft smile gracing her features.  It was good to be back - even if being back meant returning to the sound of war.

"Dia Brennon it is good to have you back.  Your tent is where you left it.  If you dismount, our men will unpack and set your tent back to rights with your belongings," a young man spoke to her, wrapping the reigns of her horse around his hand when she stopped. He then offered her assistance to get down.  

She was slightly ashamed that she didn't remember his name - but with as many injured soldiers that came and went from the camp, it was growing difficult to remember them all.  She placed her hands on his shoulders as his hands grasped her waist as he helped her down.  It wasn't that she needed help mounting or dismounting, but when the courtesy was offered, you accepted in turn.

"O' course.  Thank ye, sir."

"Oh no, Dia, I'm not a knight, just a soldier," he answered, blushing, before turning to release the horse from its harness.  "Will you be needing anything, Dia?"

"Dinner," she answered with a laugh, "As well as my tub filled and heated once everything is back in place.  Please make sure the fire pit is lit and well stocked both for my tent and the wounded tents.  Cold weather is coming and I fear it will be cool tonight."

He nodded at her words, knowing she knew where to find dinner.  "Of course, Dia.  I will see to it myself."

Amber ran a hand over the mane of her horse, listening to it knicker before it was led away.  With a sigh of longing as she looked at her tent, she turned on her heel, lifted the edges of her skirt and made her way to where the cooking tent was.

Several cooks noticed her approach and bowed or curtseyed and she waved her hand in dismissal of it.  "There is no need for that - you know this."

Until she heard a voice behind her.

"Praise Elysia, you've returned Dia." Now she understood the bowing and curtseying  - it was for Prince Iaen, not her.  He must have been keeping an eye out for her return.  She turned and inclined her head to him, a wry smile on her features knowing that soon he would attempt to chew her out in private.

"Of course I return, Prince Iaen.  As Dia, I am often called away to help others in need," she answered smoothly, tucking strands of her loose hair behind her ears.  "And the druids were in need."

"You were needed here," he responded harshly, before tucking his arm around hers and guided her to a bench, dropping his voice a notch.  "You should have told me you were leaving.  Warned me.  Something.   I would have gone with you...sent a guard..."

She raised a hand to silence him.  

"I was not needed here, Iaen, I was needed elsewhere and elsewhere is where I went.  You are not my husband, you are not my mate.  I am not required to share information with you that I do not share with your enemy.  Remember, as Dia, I am an equal to the leaders of kingdoms and technically your superior.  I answer to no one but the Goddess," she knew throwing the fact he was beneath her was a thorn in his side, but she tired of his desire to  know everything she did. "Besides, a guard would slow me down and the young woman needed me before I got there."