Chapter 1: Detention Starts

Saturday, March 24th, 1984 7:07 a.m.:

Dear Mr. Vernon,

We accept the fact that we had to sacrifice a whole Saturday in detention for whatever it is that we did wrong. What we did WAS wrong. But you're crazy to make us write an essay telling us who we think we are. What do you care? You see us how you want to see us in the most simplest terms, in the most convenient definitions. You se us as a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, a rebel, and a criminal. Correct?  That's the way we saw each other at 7'o clock this morning. We were brainwashed...

Scott walks into Shermer High School and finds the library. Detention has already started with five other people in there already sitting down. "You're seven minutes late. You can make that up at the end of detention." Vernon said. "I got lost. This place is huge. It's like the White House." Scott replied. "Save it, and have a seat, but a word of warning: Don't stick your neck out for any of these folks. They're not worth it." Vernon stated. "Whatever." Scott replied sarcastically. "You've got quite a cast of characters to choose from." Vernon said. Scott walked over and had a seat next to the guy wearing a red, plaid button-up and a jean-jacket and biker gloves. "Figures. You bad boys always stick together." Vernon stated. "Excuse me sir? I think there's been a mistake. I know it's detention, but...um...I don't think I belong in here..." the red head in a pink shirt said. Vernon ignored her, then continued to give instructions: It is now seven-oh-six. You have exactly eight hours and fifty-four minutes to think about why you're here. To ponder the error of your ways." The boy sitting next to Scott spits into the air and catches the spit in his mouth again. ...and you may not talk. You will not move from these seats." Vernon continued.  "What if we have to use the restroom?" Scott asked. "Go in your clothes, I'm sure you're very capable of that." Vernon replied. Scott shook his head.

...and...you...will not sleep." Vernon finished. "Alright people, we're gonna try something a little different today. We are going to write an essay--of no less than a thousand words--describing to me who you think you are." "Is this a test?" the boy next to Scott asked. Vernon passes out paper and pencils and takes no notice of the kid next to Scott. "And when I say essay...I mean essay. I do not mean a single word repeated a thousand times. Is that clear Mr. Bender and Mr. Palmer?" Vernon said sharply. "Crystal." Bender replied. "Clear as glass." Scott replied. "Good. Maybe you'll learn a little something about yourself. Maybe you'll even--decide whether or not you care to return." Vernon said. The nerd in the middle row with blonde hair raises his hand then stands and says: "You know, I can answer that right now sir...That'd be "No", no for me. 'cause..." he started to say. "Sit down Johnson." Vernon said. "Thank you sir." the nerd replied, then sat down. "My office... Vernon points.  ...is right across that hall. Any monkey business is ill-advised..." He then looks around at them. "Any questions?" "Yeah...I got a question." Bender said. Vernon looks at him suspiciously. "Does Barry Manilow know you raid his wardrobe?" "I'll give you the answer to that question, Mr. Bender, next Saturday." Vernon replied. "Hang on, I got a question or two, pun intended." Scott spoke up. "Will this go on our permanent record?" He asked. "Yes, it will; So think carefully about your behavior going forward." Vernon replied. "Any other questions?" Vernon asked. "Yeah, I got two more." Scott continued. "What side of whose bed do you get up on every morning? And are you always an asshole, or only when you get really pissed off?" "Your question will be answered as well next Saturday Mr. Palmer when you join Mr. Bender in detention." Vernon said. "What can I say? Misery loves company." Scott replied snarky. "Don't mess with the bull young man, you'll get the horns." Vernon warned Bender. "Toro, Toro." Scott said mockingly. "And you..."Vernon said looking to Scott. "If you really think that you're going to get away with the same crap you pulled at your last school, you would be sorely mistaken." Vernon turns on his heel and leaves. "That man...is a brownie hound..." Bender stated talking about Vernon. "Don't even get me started; He sounds like my kind of guy already." Scott said sarcastically. Everyone tries to get comfortable, then a loud snapping sound is heard. Brian turns and looks and it is Allison, biting her nails. Bender's eyes widen as he turns to look. Everyone is looking now. Allison notices them looking at her. "You keep eating your hand and you're not gonna be hungry for lunch..." Bender stated.