Prologue

The boy had never thought of it. If it weren't for Grandpa- he would've been dead, like every single person would be soon. Dead like little Linnie. Dead like Ma.

But he didn't want to die. Dying frightened him. Even thinking of it sent shudders down his spine. He had seen many flowers; scarlet ones the most, that would suddenly dry off but then grow back the next summer.

But a person who dies once does not return.

"He is effaced from the lives of the ones who are living, like a dried leaf of fall that joins the foliage," Grandpa used to say.

The boy didn't want that. He didn't want to be erased.

And as bad as Grandpa's plan had seen earlier, it seemed pretty good to him now.

Tyrannical, that little voice in his mind hummed. That was the word he had learned the other day. His teacher had taught him and he never really understood it. Grandpa had mentioned it too. Maybe he was too young to know it. He quickly brushed the thought away. He was no ordinary child anymore-he was going to be a leader.

A boss, as his Pa had one. He was going to make his Grandpa's dream- and his own, perhaps- come true. 

***

"That," Grandpa said, "is what I'd call a perfect young gentleman."

The boy smiled. Grandpa had praised him. He held his face high as Grandpa adjusted the boutonnière on his tuxedo. He wanted to chuckle at the silly name, but his teacher, Ms. Beckelhyme had tutted him just enough to make him hold his tongue. 

Finally brushing away all other thoughts, he willed himself to be confident. And he was; more than he had ever been before.

The black, shiny car arrived swiftly at the front door. The boy was filled with fascination; and surprise. He had never seen such a car before. The old, rusty car was too loud when Ma would turn on the engine. This one was soft and sumptuous, more like the cars his classmates had. He loved the first aspect of the new life he was about to live. He knew he'd love the new life he was about to live before even living it.

The car moved at a slow pace. Two people dressed in funny uniforms sat in the front. The boy sat in the centre and Grandpa sat right next to him. He liked peeking out of the window but he couldn't do it now. Cheeky little children did that. He was not a child anymore; he was now going to live like an adult. Like Ma. Like Pa. And more importantly, like Grandpa.

The dying sunlight fell faintly on them, shining prominently on the dark and shiny surface of the vehicle, as he stepped out. 

The older men shared some words and asked the boy to wait. His mind was burning with curiosity, but he still nodded hesitantly. He couldn't wait.

The floral decoration reflecting the sunlight on his suit looked unwonted under dusk's slight gloom. He gazed in awe at the little hints of rays that shot upwards, blazing the clouds in a kind of fire that never existed, and giving the west a crimson shade. He had always adored nature; whenever he got the time to. As the sun finally sank down the horizon, a guard, who was a feet taller than the boy bowed.

'Welcome to the headquarters of the Caldwell Corporation, Mr Marcellus Pharrel."