We Are Losing Everything

April, 2020

It has been a little over a month since Covid-19 hit the United States and everyone was on lock down. It was a scary time for the world. People were losing jobs, kids were learning from home as well as those who have been lucky enough to have a job where they can work from home.

Jessica and Sam were already in a bit of worry due to their financial struggles. A year ago Sam was running his own private fishing business. Maine was the perfect place to have a fishing career. Sadly, six months ago he had an accident that almost cost him his life. Meaning, he could do longer do the demanding job. He was forced to sell his boat and gear.

After a three month recovery sam was able to place a desk job at a local bank where he had prior experience.

For sixth months, Sam and Jessica went without an income. Jessica was a stay at home mom. They had three children. Brooks, Ryker, Elliot, and a baby due in three months.

Their home life was very busy, they had three boys ranging from the age of four to seven. They were a handful and their house was always chaotic. Ever since Brooks was born seven years ago, Jessica stopped working and became a full time mom. A year ago, Jessica and Sam were more than comfortable. They lived in their dream home in Maine. But ever since the accident their lives have flipped upside down.

The pandemic was the cherry on top. Sam and Jessica were facing eviction and losing everything. Now with the pandemic Sam was laid off of his new job. He didn't even have a chance to work a full month and get a decent pay check. There was little to no chance of him going back anytime soon with how serious Covid-19 was getting. Now, all they had was savings, the money Sam made off of his fishing gear, and loose change. With how things were looking and no places hiring, Sam and Jessica were worried that they wouldn't have enough money to pay the bank.

As much as their world was falling apart, Sam and Jessica did their best to make life beautiful for their boys.

Brooks and Ryker are doing school from home. Brooks is in first grade, Ryker is in kindergarten, while Elliot had just recently turned four and was still in preschool.

Jessica has her hands full, with Sam being home it was sometimes easier for her but other days were difficult. Sam had a lot of anger and guilt. He felt like he failed his family. Now they could loose everything.

//-//

It was a chilly day. Sam had the air turned off and a fire going in the living room.

The boys were in the living room playing and reading books. Jessica was in the kitchen making dinner while Sam looked through all of their "warnings" and "notices". Each red fonted sentence shook him to the core.

It was written all over his face. He was scared and so was Jessica. She did the best she could to stay positive and save as much money as possible.

"I'm making your favorite tonight." Jessica whispers

"Mhm, lasagna?" Sam smiles

Jessica turns around and rubs her belly. "I was talking to the baby. Their favorite dinner is crispy chicken, mashed potatoes and green beans." Jessica giggles

"Ahhh, I forgot, the baby gets to vote on dinner too." He smirks

Jessica walks over to him and tries to give him a happy distraction.

She takes his hand and puts it's on the side of her stomach. "Do you feel that?" She smiles "it's the baby. It's kicking a lot today." She looks at him with a small grin and holds his hand tightly.

"Wow... he's moving around in there." Sam chuckles

"Stop calling the baby a boy! We don't know yet and we are waiting until the baby is born." Jessica stresses