Chapter 3

"Look at me." she said sternly in concealed rage.

Her heart really couldn't take to see the one who held it and made it flip at every actions turn away from her.

She'd rather be dead than feel such pain, it felt like dying anyway.

"Am I such an eyesore to you now that you can't even look at me for long? Do you see me in the same light that everyone else does?" she asked, her grip getting weaker.

That seem to do the trick as Adam grabbed her hand just as she was about to retract it, looking into her eyes with as much sorrow reflected back.

"I could never!" he exclaimed panicked, his grip gentle but firm and grounding. "It's not that, I just...." he trailed off, looking down with a shadow cast over his face.

He didn't have to complete his sentence because she knew he thought and felt the same way she did.

All these years, she wondered why she wasn't stronger and blamed herself for their downfall.

Her heart was shredded and left to turn cold without him to warm it and it seems she wasn't alone.

Crouching in front of him, she let the few tears she was holding back all this time roll down her cheeks.

"Adam," she called softly, coaxing the other to look up at her again looking small and defeated. "We were unprepared and young. We still are but this time we'll be ready. You aren't alone in your feelings, I blame myself every day for everything, but that won't change anything." she said gently. "It's time we heal." she stated, breaking the dam he was holding back.

Breaking down, he pulled her into his familiar embrace and cried into her shoulder.

Lucy simply allowed him to grip onto the clothes on her back and soke her shoulder while she relaxed into the embrace.

Once again, she felt warm and protected. She was back in these broad gentle but strong arms and she wasn't leaving again.

Closing her eyes, she let peace wash over her as she snaked her arms around his middle and simply held him until he calmed down and even longer.

Finally separating after what felt like hours, they simply stared at each lovingly as Adam placed a warm ruff hand of an inventor on her cheek.

Leaning into the touch, her eyes fluttered shut as her heart filled with warmth for the first time in three long years.

"I missed you." she confessed, like it was a secret she was sharing.

"Me too, thank you." he confessed, just as gently as their foreheads connected softly.

Staying in their own world for a little longer, they felt at peace. The pain of those three years seemed to vanish like it never existed in that moment even though they knew the road ahead was still rocky.

Lucy stayed a bit longer to talk about her plan until it became clear she had to leave.

"It's dark, I should go back to the hotel." she said standing.

Adam didn't say anything, but it was obvious from the scarred, conflicted look in his eyes that he didn't want her to leave his reach again.

Noticing this, she placed a gentle palm on his cheek which he immediately leaned into like a needy cat making a smile.

"I will return." she promised.

Those three words spoke with so much determination was all he needed to be calmed again.

"You better." he threatened weakly, making her huff an amused laugh that made his heart flutter.

Hesitating, Lucy eventually resigned herself to simply pulling away instead of kissing his forehead like she intended.