Troublemaker

"So..."

Zeno leaned against the wall of the Gateway Ship, looking out at the stars, completely prepared for the incoming lecture for going out without clearance yet again. "The same old, same old—the seniors don't notice the juniors."

"Why were you bothering that particular senior ARKS operative?" Regulus asked from the other side of the Gateway Ship.

The eyes of the young ARKS operative blinked and then he turned his head so he might look at Regius, who like Zeno stood with his arms crossed, though unlike Zeno there was no apparent frown on his face; Regius was, after all, a CAST. "Does it really matter?"

"Does it?" Regius asked. "I think it does."

Zeno's facial features softened, his head tilting slightly out of curiosity regarding Regius' current tactics. "Because he's awesome."

"Well, that's the answer I expected from you, troublemaker."

The words stung, the hopes of one of the senior ARKS operatives other than Master understanding suddenly shattering into pieces. Zeno looked away, his facial features twisting with irritation. "Well, you would say that. You're just like all of the other adults, aren't you?"

"Oh? And why is that? And wouldn't that include the ARKS operative you were bothering? After all..."

"Master isn't like that!" Zeno turned, his hands clenching while his crossed arms uncrossed. "He actually listens and answers my questions!"

"So that's what this is about."

Zeno's eyes blinked again, his mouth opening. After what felt like eons, he realized he was staring at Regius, realizing just how irritating CAST not giving off emotions like non-CAST do, was. "That..." Zeno looked at the ground, fidgeting. His hands went to his side, not liking the fact Regius' words felt like they were looking inside of him, reading his mind. "I told you, it isn't important."

"Well, I told you that we would continue the discussion when we returned, did I not?" Regius stated, which of course didn't make sense.

"That..."

"Well, how would I be an apt instructor if I didn't find out why the troublemaker student was doing what he did rather than assuming to know the reasons behind his actions? To me, finding out the reason is important, no matter how trivial those reasons might be—or not."

Zeno continued looking at the ground, worrying the corners of his mouth. He didn't say anything, unsure of how to react to an adult—a senior ARKS operative—actually finally paying him some sort of attention.

"I see you're still not sure what to think of me, am I right troublemaker?"

"If I'm a troublemaker, then I must not be worth you're time, right?" Zeno retorted. His head jerked up, his tone of voice gaining an iota of venom as he spoke. "Particularly for someone who's one of the big six, right?"

"Do you really think Atossa and Wolf think you're not worth their time?"

Zeno flinched, his eyes widening, his arms dropping limply to his side. A whole range of emotions rushed through, his mind struggling to conceptualize said emotions. Eventually, his hands clenched and he looked down. One foot scraped the floor. "What does it matter? 'cause I'll never be at their level, will I?"

"Now why do you say that?"

"Senior ARKS operatives don't listen, so it doesn't..."

"Except I'm listening."

"Yeah, well. It's not as if I can become stronger. Strong like them," Zeno muttered, hoping Regius wouldn't hear him. He thought at first Regius hadn't heard, but then...