Taking Chances

“She is not the most beautiful girl in the world. She is not the kindest, smartest, or even the richest. I don’t know anything about her. But one thing is for sure. I like her. And I’d do anything just to know everything about her.”

This is a story about a boy named Charlie. It was his first year in high school when he first met Sam. And from that moment, he knew that there is something about her. Maybe this is what they call “Love at first sight”. But Charlie didn’t believe about such thing, so he calls it “Like at first sight”. Sam is one of Charlie’s classmates. There are more other girls that are more beautiful than her but only Sam has caught his whole attention. He wants to be her friend. No, not just friend, he wants more than that. But he didn’t know anything about dating. He never had a girlfriend before. And he hasn’t had an experience courting a girl either before. He wants to get to know her, but how? He thought maybe if he approaches her in a friendly way, it would be alright. So he approached her in a friendly way. And as time goes by, they became close friends. But he wanted something more than that. There are times when they are being teased by their friends that they look good together. Charlie likes the idea, but Sam only laughs at it and thinks it’s ridiculous. “Maybe it is”, Charlie thought. He likes the idea of being teased with Sam but he was hurt about Sam’s reaction.

They were good friends. Until one day, one of Sam’s closest friends told her about Charlie’s feelings. Sam didn’t know anything about it. She didn’t know how to respond. She likes Charlie as a friend. No more, no less. From that moment, Sam started to avoid Charlie. Charlie wants to talk to her about it, but he didn’t know what to say. It feels awkward. From that moment, their friendship starts to fade. From being close friends, they became strangers... again.

Charlie was really hurt about what happened, but he didn’t know what to do. Sam doesn’t want to talk to him in person. They can talk through text and internet, but only for a very short time. And their conversation was empty. It feels as though they were not friends anymore. They just barely know each other. From that moment, he knew that their friendship would never be the same as before, so he tried something else. He took the risk of losing even the slightest friendship that they had and take it to the next level. He wanted to be her boyfriend. He wants to tell everything to her, but she doesn’t want to talk to him in person, so he sent her a text message saying all that was in his heart. But he didn’t get any response. Sam avoided him even more. The worst part is he saw Sam flirting with other guys.

“Why? Why didn’t she tell me about it before? Why does she have to do it this way? I hate her!” – These are the things that were going through his head over and over again. He was badly hurt. He kept asking himself, what have he done wrong? He thought that maybe he wasn’t good enough for her. He started thinking that maybe being friend with Sam at the first place was a bad idea… because he knew, from the moment he had laid his eyes on her; there was something about her that he just can’t get out of his mind. He thought that if he starts being friends with her, it will soon change in the way he wanted it to be. He had this thought inside of him that one day, they’ll end up together. But Sam proves him wrong. It did change, but not in the way he wanted it to change. Now, they barely talk, or even see each other anymore. And now he thought that maybe, drifting himself away from Sam would probably be the best idea. Though for sure, he knew, it would badly hurt him... a lot.

Many years have passed and Charlie finally moved on. They are now in their first year in college. Charlie and Sam go to a different school in college but they still manage to be friends. Yes, they became friends again. Close friends, but not as close as before. Charlie knew his limit. He doesn’t want to ruin their friendship like before. Although he still has feelings for Sam, he chose to ignore it and prepared himself to be her friend no matter what. It’s better this way than being strangers. And besides, Sam is happy now. She is dating another guy from her school. And Charlie was contented about it. He is happy whenever he can see Sam happy about her relationship with her boyfriend. He even gives some advices to her whenever they had a fight. He has already given up on his feelings for her. Although it’s hard, he knew that he has no other choice. Sam doesn’t like him. And he doesn’t want to risk their friendship for his own sake. He cares very much for some, even more than himself. If only Sam could see.

     It was always like this. Charlie struggling hard about his feelings and Sam didn’t even notice it. Maybe she did, but doesn’t care at all. Until one day, Sam and his boyfriend finally decided to end their relationship. It was mutual, but Sam still suffers from great pain and cried a lot in Charlie’s company. Charlie gave Sam some advices that can help her to overcome this chapter in her life. And Sam gladly accepted it. As time goes on, they became closer, even closer than before. Sam started to see the good in Charlie. And as the same time, Charlie still struggles in fighting his feelings for her. But it’s really hard for him. It’s even harder now, because they became closer than before. He wanted to take another go, but how? What if she rejects him again? Strike 2, but what if she accepts him? It would be a happy ending for him. He thought about it over and over again. And come to a conclusion.

“Our friendship is much closer and stronger than before; there is nothing wrong if I tell her that I’m still in love with her. She will not avoid me. I can tell her that if she doesn’t want me to be her boyfriend, it’s ok for me and I’ll still continue to be his friend. Maybe this will do. I will tell her, tonight.”

     So they met at the park that night. It is raining, so they both had their umbrella. Sam has no idea on what kind of revelation would take place in that park that night, so she asked Charlie, “Hey Charlie! What are you up to? Why did you call me here this late hour? And did you know that it is raining? We can catch colds you know”. “I know, it’s just that, I have something to tell you”, Charlie said. Then Sam looked puzzled and said, “Ok then, go on, speak up. It’s getting cold”. Charlie was nervous, he just thinks. And without a pause he said, “I love you Sam, I still do. From the very first time that we met, I know you are unique. And you are, really. I know that I am not being fair to you that I didn’t say it before, but, I was scared. I don’t want to lose you... again. I’ve lost you once because of that text message that I sent you, and I regretted it, really. But now I thought that I should not be afraid to say everything to you, because if I tr...” Sam stopped him with a kiss. Not just a kiss, a deep kiss. He was shocked, but at the same time he was happy. It was Sam kissing him. So he kissed back. They both drop their umbrella on the ground and kissed each other in the rain, while holding each other’s arms. “I love you too; I’ve been waiting for you to say it again to me for years. Can we go home now?” Sam told Charlie with a big smile on her face. “Yes”. That’s all he can manage. He was very happy. It was their first kiss. And the next kiss they shared is at the Altar. Yes, they get married, a few years after that night. They were very happy and in love with each other. Oh, By the way, my name is Charlie. Charlie Brown.