Chapter 13

ARTH

So, it was six months already! Six months since the fateful day Naina walked into our lives. A lot of things happened since then.
My entrance results were out and I took up Mechanical Engineering solely on my own merit. I was for once proud of myself “You can’t belittle me anymore brother,” I thought when I informed my results to Sarthak and father. 
“So, father will not have to visit the Dean,” he gave a once over to my result and tossed it aside. 
Well, I wasn’t surprised at his comment. Trust Sarthak to come up with a jibe when you least expect it. I think he took great joy in ruffling my feathers. At times I have even wondered if I was an adopted child!
I am yet to find out the reason for this animosity.

As for Sarthak, he was now successfully launched into a political career. To make a smooth transition from a lawyer to a politician, father left no stone unturned. There was a Meet with the journalists where Naina, his wife was introduced. As tutored by Krishna, Naina was presented to the world as the girl from the village, who was given a new lease of life by the handsome lawyer turned Politician. The world got to view the down-to-earth young politician who valued culture and simplicity above caste, money and power.

Here was a young man who was ready to adopt a village and stand by them. The world of politics opened their arms wide and embraced him.

Sarthak on his part was busy learning the ropes. He lent his shoulders to the old hapless women and heard their grievances. He was seen serving food to the homeless, tossing ball to the orphans and laughing with the college kids. His pictures were splashed across the magazines and newspapers. And as for his young bride, she was seen behind him, a gentle reminder to the voting women population that there was a champion out there for them.  
There you go… A new hero. A saviour. A man with a difference. The political world was already hailing as the New Star.
Now, we finally got to understood father’s play, strategy and the direction of the game.

So, what of the Pawn in father’s game? I expected Naina to give up, give in and get lost in the whirlpool.

And I am still waiting.

I see her helping the Cook in the kitchen, puttering around with Nandu in the garden, attending classes with a home tutor and hanging out with Krishna.

Our kitchen has become a warmer, welcoming place…though tempting, I don’t go venturing there. I only glance in passing and watch as she hopelessly burns a dish or breaks a glass. The laughter that erupts from there however is contagious. I find myself quite often loitering around the Kitchen. Damn…it is getting to be a tough habit to break.

The other day cook told me with a chuckle that Naina managed to convince our Nandu to plant a Parijat shrub in his precious garden.
“Why was it even important?” I gave Mausi a blank look. 
“Didn’t you know that Nandu relied entirely on the Master for the choice of plants and gardening ideas?” Mausi looked at me in disbelief.
I just shrugged but couldn’t deny the fact that it was a big feat. Kudos to her!

“The flowers reminded Naina of home,” Mausi gave a soft smile. “When a girl marries and goes to live with a new family, it is always difficult for her,” Mausi was nostalgic, a far-away look in her eyes. “It is such a joy when little things remind them of home and the love they left behind,”
Mausi walked towards the kitchen window and looked out at the Parijat tree with its flower carpet around it. “Isn’t it beautiful?” she looked at in awe.
Hmm. I didn’t know a rose from parijat…yet, I had to concede, the fragrance and the flowers were enchanting. 

But…

Nostalgia.

Wistful feelings.

Homecoming.