Part Nine: Before We Go +18

Warning: Smutty chapter is smutty! You have been warned!

****************

Klaus prepared for war, while he prepared for the temporary move to New Orleans. It was to be the intimate sort of war, one against someone that had been his closest ally in the past and had even been regarded as a best friend. He was going into battle against Elijah, whom he still suspected of seeking to take what wasn't his, though he couldn't tell if it was in an act of revenge for the sins of his past or something else entirely.

Worst, he was beginning to fear Eternity might wish to be stolen, if the way she supported his brother in his endeavor a week ago to convince him to come to the Crescent City was any indication.

She had been eager to persuade him — too eager, in Klaus's opinion.

He tried to tell himself that he was being ridiculous, that his wife would never betray him. Yet, Klaus could feel the dark shadows of his old paranoia looming over him, something that had been increasing ever since Elijah came to town.

He had been honest when he had asked his brother why he couldn't leave him be in the peace that he had found. He had wanted to simply be left where he was, as a man who had put his dark past behind him instead of being dragged back into the darkness that was the Mikaelsons.

Even though he did miss his family and Eternity had been right about there being a hole where they had once been, Klaus had reached a place of acceptance of their decision to put distance between them. He was contented in his life separated from his siblings and wished to remain that way, for himself and for the sake of his relationship with his beloved wife.

Yet, it seemed inevitable that he would be forced back into the fray, especially since Eternity herself was so animate about going to New Orleans to be with the family.

Thinking of his wife, at last week's dinner at Elijah's Mystic Falls residence, Eternity had used her insight into his lingering ache for his siblings to manipulate him into finally agreeing to go to New Orleans, when before she had simply respected his choice not to return to the fold. He had to wonder what would motivate her into using such a tactic to return him to where he didn't want to be, if not for some sort of affection for Elijah.

She was too clever to be manipulated or brainwashed by his big brother into siding with him. So, it had to be whatever was developing between Elijah and her — and there was something. That secret smile that had possessed her face after going to war at Elijah's side behind his back still haunted Klaus. It wouldn't leave him alone, no more than his brother's insistence on him reunited with him and the rest of their family would.

Because of whatever was going on, Klaus had decided not to simply put his brother in his place at dinner. Instead, he would do as he and Eternity wanted and go to New Orleans at the risk of facing the wrath of his other siblings — not that he was afraid of them anyway. There, he would then go preemptively to war against Elijah, if only to stop this dark shadow looming from unravelling his happiness completely.

"Nik?"

Klaus turned to see Eternity standing in the doorway of their already packed up bedroom. She was dressed in a lovely yellow sundress that was strapless with a smocked bodice and purple flowers to decorate it. Her long snowy hair was tied up in a large braid that she had flung over one slender shoulder and her ancient sapphire eyes were filled with uncertainty as she looked upon him.

"What is it, love?" Klaus asked as gently as he could muster, which took great effort in his current stormy mood.

She moved into the room with her hands wringing nervously, "I know that we are well on our way to being packed up for New Orleans, but I —."