Prologue

Rain trickled down the window sill, the droplets falling at different speeds, as if they were having a race. Watching simple things like how the rain fell was oddly comforting and created a sense of security. Not many people would relate to this feeling, but not everyone is fascinated by simple things. 'It was good to be unique' they said. What's the point of being like everyone else? Being so scared of originality that you conform to be like everyone in society.

Congratu-fucking-lations.

You're boring. You're shallow. You're a coward. And you probably aren't even seen as someone who is worth respecting. You know what? You should probably just quit while you're ahead. Save everyone the struggle of having to carry your burdens every day.
Set them free.
Let them go of someone who is merely just a figure of disappointment. Come on, don't fool yourself. You know it's the right thing to do.

Do them a fucking favour!
They said.

You useless piece of shit!
They said.

Look deep into that mirror and try to tell yourself that i'm not wrong.
Yes!
Thank you! Stare harder! Stare harder at the disgusting creature that is stood before you. Take note of the marks of purple and black under your eye which only adds to the mess that is who you are. Oh, god let's not forget the blood marks which appear on your forehead. The crimson liquid that was dripping down your face earlier really foreshadowed shit for you, didn't it?

No? Jesus, fine. Let me tell you this straight. That is what your future lies ahead for you. Blood. You should probably get familiar with it, because it's what you should see everyday. You need to see how you destroy yourself, see every cut you put in your body. Let the memory of your utter worthlessness cloud up you mind as you watch the shades of scarlet run down your pale skin.

Why? Why you ask?
It's simple! Because you deserve it silly!
So what are you waiting for, coward?

Do it.
Do it!
Do it!

Are you deaf? I said do it-

The words shattered into a million pieces as a fist collided into the mirror, doing just the same. The person in front of mirror could hardly be seen now, as they watched as little sections of them fell to the floor. Stuttering breaths filled the silent room, cries which were begging to rip through. They decided not to concentrate on the outrageous throbbing pain which spread along their hand, but just to stare back into the reflection before them. The reflection of disappointment. The reflection of someone who was breaking inside and couldn't handle it. The reflection of someone who felt like that everyday was just them drowning over and over again! Someone who needed to be saved. Someone who couldn't save themselves from the demons. But they knew that wasn't possible. The only person who could save them was them.
What demons you ask?

With one last look in the broken mirror, they took a sharp breath.

The demon was them.
The demons of the mind.