Chapter 26

With a towel wrapped securely around her still dampened frame, Jennie waltzed out of her steamy bathroom and into a horror show unfolding atop her bed. Nemo, convinced that he played an innocent game of tug-o-war with his owner, must have interpreted Haruto's shouts and orders as further incentive to keep on gnawing and yanking at the hem of a dress, his sharp fangs slashing through the fabric like a blade through water.

"Nemo! Bad boy!" Haruto persisted, the upper end of the dress trapped between his hands, pulling in the opposite direction. "Let go, Nemo! Let go right now or we're both gonna die!"

Both blindly unaware that Jennie stood horrified, watching the entire ordeal mere feet away.

"NEMO! This is the last time I tell you!" Haruto shouted again, only spurring Nemo on to pull with even more vigor. "That's it! I'm calling animal control! This is your last- oh... hey, Noona." Haruto dropped the dress the second he saw his sister's pale face and bulging eyes. Nemo, now that Haruto was no longer challenging him, spat out the remnants of the dress and lowered his ears in shame.

"That- that was my DRESS, Haruto!" Jennie screeched, waving a hand around furiously while the other still held the towel to her body. "The DRESS I was supposed to wear for my date tonight! Look at it! It's ruined!"

Haruto picked up the tattered cloth, giving it a good look over. "If it's of any consolation," he spoke, shrugging, "it was pretty hideous Noona. Nemo did you a favor."

A furious screech sent both Nemo and Haruto scampering out of the room, colliding clumsily into one another as they struggled to squeeze past Jennie unscathed.

"I swear to god, I'm gonna- ah!- FUCK!" She bellowed, fanning through her closet in search of an ideal replacement. She gave up two minutes later, once it dawned on her that the dress she had selected was her best and nothing her closet could produce at the moment could substitute it. Well... not her closet at least.

Diving for her phone, Jennie tapped the second name under her 'Recent' tab, waiting impatiently as the phone began to dial the number. To her growing dismay, she was immediately transferred over to voicemail.

"Chu! I'm having a major crisis right now! Haruto and Nemo ruined the dress I was supposed to wear tonight, and, well... I have nothing to wear. Now I know this is unprecedented and that in the past, when you'd randomly show up with a dress I'd always tell you to fuck off... but if you just happened to do that right now, I'll... I'll convince Lisa to let you have the Harley for a week! Just, please hurry!"

"Two weeks," a keen voice spoke from her bedroom entrance before Jennie could even disconnect the call. "Two weeks, and you got yourself a deal, kid." Jisoo countered with a quipped brow, leaning nonchalantly against the doorframe. Tossed over her shoulder was a black garment bag.

Jennie scoffed, torn between relief and irritation at seeing Jisoo's chin tilt arrogantly upwards in an unspoken 'checkmate'. "You were already on your way over with it, weren't you?" Jennie deduced, reckoning it to be the only valid reason for Jisoo's perfect timing. Still, she was unwilling to surrender just yet. She pulled her friend in and closed the door.

"Yep," Jisoo nodded triumphantly, narrowing her gaze. "I think Nemo deserves to keep his balls after that little stunt. I'm canceling his procedure next week."

Jennie glared, yanking the bag out of Jisoo's hand. "So you already planned on giving me this," she said, unzipping the bag and pulling out a beautiful, satin black dress that made her mentally whisper remorseful apologies to Nemo, "before I even made the offer?"