5. The Day of Disgrace

Hamel remained in his home the entire day to avoid contact with others. He did not wish to see anyone or speak to anyone. No one called on him at home.

Mid-way through the morning, he heard the horn blast, giving warning of an attack at the Valley Wall. The attacks came often enough those days.

Hamel grabbed his cloak to head to the wall, but placed it back on the hook by the door. Too many years serving in the Armies of the Ridge had conditioned him to act when the threat was near.

His stomach tensed as he considered the ongoing threat of the Beasts. Whatever it was that drove those Beasts to attack needed to be addressed. The Council had refused to allow the Generals to lead their forces into the forests of the valley, which left the Armies of the Ridge with no other option than to continue their strategy of maintaining a solid defense.

Hamel had agreed with their decision, although he had led the charge against the Council's refusal. He believed the threat was outside the valley. The Beasts were merely creatures. They acted on instinct. He did not think that the problem with the Beasts lay amongst the trees. He had long suspected it lay elsewhere.

He pushed the threat of the attack out of his mind and settled his thoughts. The day wore on, and he busied himself around his house.

Hours later, Hamel watched the sun move toward the horizon as he ate his evening meal. He loved the summer months. The heat, the sun, and the green vegetation made him feel at peace. He would need to enjoy what peace he could.

He pulled his Council robes over his head and adjusted them until they sat just right on his shoulders. Anyone could wear whatever they wished to a Council meeting, but he would attend that night's meeting in full robes. He would stand with honor. Before he left, he examined himself in the mirror. He had always felt humbled by the privilege of wearing the robes. His eyes lingered on the crest, declaring his position as Honored Patir. It featured prominently on his chest. He did not think that crest would remain his for much longer.

He had not left much time to get to the Council Chambers, but it was improper for someone to stop an Honored Patir on the way to a Council meeting. He would have just enough time to arrive a few minutes after the Council began. All the Council would be there, and he would be able to make an entrance.

The walk to the Council meeting was quiet for the most part. No one disturbed him, and he was grateful for the peace. The air was calm, and the sound of children playing in the streets helped to ease the stress. He suspected that walk would be the last peace he would have for a long time. He took the time to enjoy the cool of the evening, the sounds of the birds, and the bustle of the people.

As he approached the steps leading into the Council Chambers, he heard the blast of the horn yet again. Rarely did a day pass when the Beasts did not attack twice. He ignored the matter. A different battle lay before him.

As he stepped into the Outer Council Chambers, he found he had timed his arrival perfectly. The session had just begun. He took a deep breath and smiled. He was about to act in a shameful and disturbing manner, but he felt as if he were embarking on an adventure. He was about to undertake a journey no one in recorded history had ever traveled—at least willingly.

He swung open the doors to the Inner Council Chambers just as the Honored Matir Rezin Karotel announced the agenda for the meeting. Hamel had always despised agendas and did not miss the days when he would have to walk the Council through all the points listed on the record.

As he stepped inside, the room grew silent. He quickly scanned the faces of each of the members. It appeared as though some of the twelve Council Patirs and Matirs had assumed he would not come. Karotel rose to her feet, and the other Council members followed her example.