Emergency

Bens POV

After turning Fox back out into his field, and doing a quick water and gate check, I decided it was time to go home. On the way to my truck, I pulled out my phone and hoped for a reply from Lauren. Sure enough, there was one.

'Oh nothing much, just your typical ambulance joy ride.. :S" she had replied, my stomach involuntarily sank. Had she been in an accident on the way home? Was she bleeding to death? Did she have a concussion? Was she in a coma? Oh my god, was she dead? I thought to myself, panicking, before realizing that it must not be too bad if she was texting me. I quickly fired off a reply asking what happened before starting my truck.

'My greenie spooked and I wiped out, he kicked my leg when he was getting up. So we're off to some big hospital in Toronto to see a specialist.' Her reply read, I quickly realized I was with in twenty minutes of the city, and asked if I could keep her company. She replied that she would be thrilled, and let me know she was headed to St. Mikes and would be there in fifteen minutes. I promised I would be there, and began my race to the hospital.

When I flew into the emergency room waiting area, I got quite a few looks. I guess it's not every day a crazed guy runs into a Toronto ER wearing field boots and breeches. My timing was amazing, because right ahead of me was a stretcher containing a very opinionated girl growling at a paramedic, demanding more drugs. He apologized and told her he couldn't do that until after a doctor saw her. I quickly walked up to her, and said hi. She looked at me completely panicked, with pain on her face, and grabbed my hand.

"Odds are, my bones will pop out of my leg when they take off my boot." She informed me, "therefor, you will not be letting go of my hand until they are fixed. Or I'm never talking to you again." Lauren threatened with a growl. The paramedics laughed and wheeled her down the hall towards one of those curtained rooms in the emergency room. Once there, the paramedics transferred her onto the bed, and then left to go do their paramedic stuff. She wasn't technically top priority, because her injury wasn't exactly life threatening.

I told Lauren about my lesson, and that Lily would be joining me at the last show. She offered up some of her old show clothes, a smile broke her pain stricken face when she remembered the hoard of show bows Angie had put away for Lauren's future kids. Suddenly, we were interrupted by a doctor. He introduced himself as Dr. Smith, and went to work looking at Lauren's chart. "Oh my.." He murmured, peeking at her visibly disfigured calf. "We need to get you into surgery right away to remove that boot!" he continued, with a concerned tone, before whisking her away to the operating room.