CHAPTER 2 - Coronation

───────────── * ☽⋅─────────────

Chapter 2 - Coronation

***

Loud cheers erupted as Mjolnir was thrust into the air

Loud cheers erupted as Mjolnir was thrust into the air. In all honesty, Égáta thought the helmets were a bit much, and far too impractical for actual battle - that is, unless they planned to impale their opponents with their heads; and as that she thought about it, would also be awfully challenging to extract afterwards - in Loki's case at least.

The volume made her eardrums pulse, and she grimaced in vigorous discomfort, which she then tried to mask. Loki's head tilted slightly in her direction, and she whispered to him. "I'm alright."

Mjolnir was confidently tossed around as Thor made his way down the throne room, earning an "Oh please," from Sif, an eyeroll from Frigga and a scoff from Égáta. The latter leaned closer to Loki, who stood tall on the step below her, "Do you reckon the people in the back are cheering as well? You know, with them not being able to see much except the back of someone's head."

She felt accomplished as she noticed him suppressing a smile.

The forceful thud of Odin's spear commanded silence. Their brother was now on his knee in front of their father.

"Thor Odinson, my heir..."

Loki's eyes went to the floor, as he shifted his jaw. While Thor swore to the vows of his coronation, Égáta tried hard to focus on the ceremony at hand, but ultimately felt thrown off by an uneasy feeling in her gut.

"...on this day, I, Odin Allfather, proclaim you-"

He ceased the rite. The hall which generally appeared alive and grand now stood eerily still. Odin had sensed something, and all stood anticipating an explanation. In the few seconds of silence, many felt their heartbeats rise - though they would burst from their chests as he spoke. Égáta's simple unease turned into terror.

"The Frost Giants!"

***

 The doors to the Weapon's Room burst open, and Odin barged inside with the three siblings trailing behind

The doors to the Weapon's Room burst open, and Odin barged inside with the three siblings trailing behind. The walls stood cold, persevering, and the casket sat luminous, secreting an unsettling, pale glow. Never had Égáta known silence so deafening. Looking at the remnants of the Jotuns, concern consumed them. Her eyes lingered on a lifeless soldier. She felt sick to the core. The almost-king was first to speak his mind.

"The Jotuns must pay for what they've done!"

With no qualm nor any sign of disturbance, Odin responded. "They have paid, with their lives. The destroyer did its work. The casket is safe, and all is well,-"

"-All is well? They broke into the weapons vault! If the Frost Giants had stolen even one of these relics..."

The passionate and raw anger from Thor, clashed with Loki's calm and collected demeanor. Égáta herself wanted desperately to believe it was all a misunderstanding. That there was no ill intent - despite having attested the fatalities they had caused.

"They didn't."

"Well, I want to know why!"

Loki observed the interaction in silence, brows raised. "If we are lucky, maybe all will return to normal even after this," Égáta said lightly, not wanting to escalate the sensitive situation.

"What, forgive and forget?" Thor mocked. She inhaled sharply, her neck muscles tightening.

"I believe in vengeance, but also in forgiveness, Thor." She told him softly, deep crevices etched in the spot between her brows. Odin, still facing away from them, answered Thor's previous question. "I have a truce with Laufey, King of the Jotuns."

Thor's dissatisfaction only grew larger. "He just broke your truce! They know you are vulnerable!".

Odin turned around, face still not hinting emotion. "What action would you take?".

Thor did not falter in his answer.

"March into Jotunheim as you once did. Teach them a lesson. Break their spirits, so they'll never dare try to cross our borders again."

In their current predicament, she doubted Thor would be able to change the mind of the Great Allfather. So, instead of wasting her energy, she decided on wandering about the castle; a futile attempt to ease her troubled mind and steady her racing heart.

"Sounds a bit tyrannical, doesn't it?" Égáta whispered to Loki, who watched her with a frown as she walked out the door.

•─────────────⋅☾ * ☽⋅─────────────•

End of chapter 2