BLIND - F I X A T I O N

Unusual visitors were an eye sore to many in the village, offering but mindless gossip, wandering eyes, and preconceived notions. Even with such superstitions physically running rampant, they looked at unfamiliar faces as untrusting and different in the worst ways. The village was but a small space, where not much was known about them save for the temple they prayed at.

     You cared for the temple, as it was your duty as the local priest/priestess. The temple was a sacred place, yes. One where many came for advice, refuge, and hope for the future. You loved working there though you were ostracized there for looking dirty based on the darkness of your skin. The sun, you were never going to give up walking in its graces.

     Darkness brought out monsters, actual monsters, that you have killed with your own hands, your own power. You bared many scars, a show of your battles won. Your prayer staff's tip soaked in a Wisteria concoction where, once the demons were stabbed, they died over a short period of time or instantly.

     A traveling Demon Slayer gifted you such a precious thing and you aided in its growth, creating protection at everyone's home by pouring the liquid and tying branches around the homes and the temples. The humans here, at least, had to be safe when they slept at night. It was a thankless job, but one you took much pride in.

     Such work was not amiss among a name you heard in passing by travelers, speaking of this man's stature, clothes, and aura. You didn't actually believe such a man existed until he came upon your doorsteps one evening, requesting a place to stay for the night. You obliged with graciousness, happy to have company in the wee hours of the night. You slept during most of the day, as you worked at night to make sure the peace was withheld.

     "Himejima Gyomei, a Demon Slayer within the temple." You bowed deeply. "I am most honored to have you stay the night here! It gets quite lonely."

     "You poor soul. Attending to the temple by your lonesome." Tears flowed from his eyes suddenly. "Do you not have a spouse to handle this with you?" The waterworks surprised you. "How unfortunate of an existence this must be for you."

     "Ah! No need to cry!" You scrambled around, looking for a cloth to wipe his eyes, but when you finally stepped up to him, he stood heads taller than you. "Oh, your eyes...

     "I have been blind almost all of my life. However, I do not let it hinder me."

     "And yet you know that I... am here. And knowing what kind of village this is, you made it here by yourself. Word on the road doesn't even do you justice."

     "There is talk about me?"

     "Yes, with those familiar with your slaying!"

     "You're familiar with demon slayers," he began crying again, "How astute you are in the world!"

     You found a stool, standing on it as you reached for his face. He faced you, feeling your presence and your hand coming near. "Are you not afraid of me?"

     "How can I be?" You sighed, relieved. "You bring me a sense of peace, even for a night. The pieces of Wisteria and the tree are my doing, thanks to a passing Demon Slayer who stayed here. I believe he passed. A note was give to me by a sorrowful crow."

     "Many have given their lives for the sake of humanity, and you have been doing the same."

     Your eyes widened. "H-how did you know?"

     "The smell of the Wisteria, and the traces of where battles began. I stepped on deep footprints in the earth. You must be very strong."

     Visibly swallowing your confusion, you held the cloth to your chest, breathing deeply at his recognition of your hard work. "I've worked tirelessly every night to make sure they don't succumb to the pain I've felt before. No family, no children, no friends. The people, those nice enough to me, have kept me going with their offerings to the temple, and a little gift for me. Food, mostly."

     A hand unwrapped from his red prayer beads, feeling your forearm through the sleeves of the jōe (Shinto priest outfit for men)/hakui (part of miko attire for women), gently squeezing. "Strength doesn't come from sweeping and cleaning the floors alone."

     "Thank you for noticing, Himejima-sama," you thanked him honorably, "Please, do not mind my hands. I want to wipe your face." You tilted forward some, his hand still holding your forearm as you wiped the rivers that flowed from his eyes. "I'm _____ _____, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'll make sure you have everything you need while you stay here."

     "Just a place to rest after my patrol is all I need."

     "Do you need me to come with you?" 

     "No. You can stay here and rest. It's my duty to protect the people here. Besides, you have done enough." Your hands, though calloused just at the base of the fingers, felt soft and tender on his face. He couldn't imagine how you looked in his eyes, only knowing what was told to him, but you weren't fully taken aback by his 7'2" stature or his outfit. Rather, you accepted him the instant you spoke his name. He didn't understand why that brought him comfort.

     He may not see it, but those silent tears were felt on his large hand and forearm. "You don't know how much your words mean to me, Himejima-sama. Thank you."

- - - - - - - 

     Every time Himejima was assigned to your village, you couldn't wait to greet him. His bed and food was made, his clothes would be cleaned, and his floor bedding was big and spacious. Word traveled fast, worst and best of it being rumors. 

     Some were of you escorting the man for favors; some were you extorting the huge man's stay for morning; some were you becoming his spouse. As long as you lived here, you shrugged off or laughed at the quiet accusations indirectly made about you in passing. Honestly, the more the village bustled with gossip, the sooner you knew that he was making his way here.

     You tuned out their words, favoring for the unpredictable motions and statements Himejima offered you. As if like a good spouse waiting for their husband to come home, you greeted him though uncharacteristically as your fair-skinned counterparts. "Welcome back, Himejima-sama! I've been waiting for you!"

     "My apologies for showing so late!" His tears flowed a little, as he wanted to be at the temple earlier than usual. Your company, as strange was it was for him to admit, was missed terribly. He began understanding what those like Tengen and Rengoku found so comforting in having a significant other.  

     He's faced a horrible tragedy and conviction that was close to ending his life, but he was saved first by Ubuyashiki with his kindness, and he felt that same trait within you. He knew you looked upon him kindly and spoke nothing discriminatory or outright about his musculature or his eyes, which bewildered him even more.

     Bizarre as your reaction was, he couldn't stop his patrol in your area, to protect you from demons. To "see" you when the morning sun rose. To feel your hands on him as you patted the tears off his cheeks.