Forgotten Identity: Part V

Immediately following my entry, the opposite door swung open. A robust man stepped inside and took a seat at an intricately carved chair in the center of the room raised on a dais. He leaned an elbow on one armrest and stroked an unkempt black beard, the only hair on his head, whilst he looked at the room's occupants with scrutinizing black eyes.

"I hope you have promising accomplishments to share today," he drawled out in a whine.

One of the men, the one I had pressed my knife against, flinched and took a meek step forward. "We brought the boy," he stated quietly. "What do ye want us to do, Master?"

The man on the seat, who must be Master Ren, tapped a finger against his cheek and stared down his nose. "Lift his face, I want to see the potential for retribution."

The other two men glanced at each other for a moment. One of them crouched down and pulled Samuel's hair to drag him upright. Samuel let out a low groan and his eyes twitched half open. One was nearly swelled shut and there were a handful of other bruises that now became visible. He slowly shook his mangled hair from his eyes to glare in defiance at Master Ren.

My blood raged through me at the sight of the broken Samuel. The wind began to stir in the closed space. I clenched my hands into fists and dug my nails into my palm. I took in several breaths to calm myself. Nothing good would come of me not maintaining control.

Master Ren sneered at Samuel and looked away. He waved a hand at the small group. "Do away with him," he whined. "Obviously, even time under lock and key it will do little to bring this unruly brat to compliance."

The front man nodded and took two steps back. He grabbed Samuel by the scruff of his neck and dragged him to his unsteady feet. "You heard him, git moving."

Samuel spat at the floor. The front man grabbed his chin and shoved him away. Master Ren just bellowed from his chair. "Begone! Out of my sight."

As Samuel was being dragged back, I took a deep breath and stepped into open. I met eyes with Master Ren who was jolted in his seat. His voice quivered with weak demands, "Who are you? Get out at once!"

I ignored him for a moment and looked back at the trio of men that crowded around Samuel. "Release him," I demanded.

The two immediately holding him let go and stepped back with wide eyes. Recognition sparked in them. The third one wasn't as quick to back down. It took him a moment longer, but he knew me. Still, he flicked out his own knife and held it to Samuel's throat.

"Call them off," I growled, snapping my attention back to Master Ren.

His eyes narrowed at me. "I take no orders from anyone but the Dark Master herself," he squeaked.

I stilled for a moment, and grinned, showing all my teeth. "Well, I guess messages for her aren't out of the picture then," I commented as I lifted one finger and swirled it. The wind picked up once again, causing the flames in the gas lamps to flicker before going out completely.

My hand moved faster in the air. Wind whipped through the room. The men all covered their faces with their arms, releasing Samuel entirely. I locked eyes with Master Ren and held out my other hand for Samuel. He quickly took the chance and moved towards me. My braid was tugged by the wind and Samuel's hair whipped about. Master Ren curled his fingers around the ends of his armrests, trying to hold himself in place.

His narrowed eyes cut passed me. "What are you fools waiting for? Grab them!" he screamed louder than the howling wind.

I threw a glance over my shoulder to see the three men struggling to close the gap between us. The wind grew stronger as I willed it to. They could not keep their footing and slid backwards across the marble floors. Samuel held a tight grip on me, the center of the whirlwind.