4: Athanasia, "nightfall."

CW: blood, death, wounds. 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Athanasia, now the first princess of Obelia, Cyrene de Alger Obelia, settles into the Emerald Palace for the second time in her lives. 

She had regretted not hiding her hair and eye color but the treatment was good so she quickly dismissed the thought, but she knew the emperor was quite happy in gaining another pawn to use. 

She wrinkled her eyebrows minutely and tried to imagine a new life, hiding away as a maid and biding her time whilst helping Claude from the shadows.

"Your highness."

"Princess Cyrene!" 

"Princess!" 

"Your imperial highness." 

They were all titles she was used to hearing, albeit this time with a different name, but unfamiliar faces saying them made her uncomfortable, and she wonders how Lily was doing during this time. 

Probably growing up under her parents' loving care, playing with her sister...

Tears unwittingly came to her eyes as she blinks them away before the maids realized she had teared up, and she gives them a radiant smile that has them clutching at each other's shoulders.

She hopes the maids this time around wouldn't be jealous of her and what she had...she was still young, so assassination attempts would begin at any moment. 

Sure enough, when she went to sleep that night- or pretended to- she watches from a dark corner of the extravagant room as a shadowy figure enters her quarters and stands over the small lump on the bed

She holds her breath.

The blows come quick. 

Feathers puff up into the air as the pillows she stuffed under the sheets erupt from the destructive force from the would-be assassin. 

The person in black freezes, looking at the shine of their blood-free knife in their hand and whirling around to meet Athanasia staring up at them with a dangerous smile on her face.

"Caught you~"

Dumbstruck by the small princess in front of them, they react too slow when Athanasia grabs their hand, the one still holding the knife, and forces their hand down to slash at her nightgown, leaving behind a long cut on her forearm. 

Then, she screams into the night. 

The assassin jumps, trying to make their way to the window but Athanasia with the frightening gleam in her gem eyes holds them still with her blue mana sparking around them.