twighlight hours

it was her fathers work party, the same as any other. her father worked for a lucrative company, so many of her fathers friends had big houses and expensive "dinners" as they called them. to her it was all the same, they stayed out late, took a car home, and did the same next time there was another dinner.
her father felt guilty about leaving her home by herself so much, so he always took her to the dinners with her; he never seemed to notice her absence once the dinner started though.

she had just eaten and most the table had started talking about things she had no knowledge of, so she excused herself and got up to wonder the house. it was the first time this particular colleague hosted a dinner, so she had a whole house to look forward to snooping through. she started at the front of the house, with two staircases accentuating the walls leading up to the second floor. most the house looked to be the kind of house made with old money, and she liked it more then the new money houses.

she made her way through the floors and back down again, into the kitchen to snack on some dessert, and she started back out to the dinner scene. there was a corridor lined with old stone leading back to the table where her father sat. as she was walking down the hall, she stared at the rounded ceiling and walked zig zag, taking her time. as she approached the outside portion, with a the ceiling curving into supports that made half oval windows to look through, she noticed the sun had basically set. the light around her was all from the candles lining the walls, and the soft white lights hung up around the tables. instead of going straight, leading her to her table, she decided to turn and follow the corridor around the building. her head was in a fog, daydreaming, when she saw a firefly.
excitement bubbled at her skin and she walked a hairs pace faster to try to catch it. it was a few feet above her, but she was focused on the thrill of the chase.
she took of her birks and held them in her hand as she started to chase the firefly. the firefly seemed to be teasing her, getting low enough for her to catch it, but as soon as she was a foot away, it would dart back up out of her reach.
she picked up quite the pace as she was trying to catch the firefly, completely forgetting about the dinner going on.
the firefly was practically in reach now, she moves a bit faster to catch it, but instead, runs right into something. as she is falling forward, she looks to see a man about to break her fall, she slips a hand beneath his head to keep it from hitting the floor. the fall was pretty hard from how fast she was going to catch the firefly, and he payed the price for it.
warm blood makes a puddle around her hand after they hit the stone floor,
"christ" he mutters.
she quickly registers what happens and sit up, resting on her knees, straddling one of his legs. she brings her hand out from beneath his head and tries to assess how deep the cut is,
"i'm so sorry" she gushes
he pulls his shoulders up, and puts his hands out behind him to support him. she goes to get up, realizing how close they were, but he grabs her wrist and pulls her back to where she was,
"are you okay?" he asks, making direct eye contact when he does.
she blushed a little, his eyes surprised her.
"oh i'm fine, the cut is no big deal, i ran into you" she replies, glad for the dim lighting.
"and what were you doing, running around so unfocused on where you were going?" he questions her.
she looks back up, but the firefly is long gone.
"oh it was nothing, are you okay? you took most the heat in the fall?" eager to take the attention off of her
"oh this was exactly what i had in mind when i said i didn't want a boring night" his reply dripping in sarcasm
"glad to be of service" she smiles, and starts to get up, but when she does a jolt of pain travels up her hand to her arm. she takes a deep breath and gets up, and he follows suit.
she turns to return to the party so her father could take her to the hospital, but as she is walking,
"wait" he says
"oh i'm sorry" she takes a step back towards him, just noticing how tall he is. if she were right next to him, she would only reach his chest.
"what's your name" he asks
"celine" she says as she pretends to curtsy, then she turns her back to him and back to the party