falling off the deep end

celines point of view
before the surgery was a blur, just a flurry of doctors coming into celines room and talking at her and talking with her father about what will happen during and after the surgery. honestly, celine never really knew what was going on, but something that made her laugh was; when one of the doctors came in, they made sure to put an "x" on her hand to make sure they operated on the right one.
it's right after the surgery, and celines head is in a daze. she was still under the anesthesia and everyone knew it.
she was talking gibberish,
"big tall guy, no feelings guy, makes me mad guy" she kept saying over and over. her father didn't know what to make of anything she said, so he just,
"yes honey" "of course sweetheart" and nodded his head the entire time. she eventually fell asleep, but it was quite uncomfortable because she had her hand in the air, held there with strings attached to the splint/cast type of thing around her hand and her arm.

a day or two later
celines hand aches from being held up, but they took it down twice a day to clean it and see the healing progress. this morning, they took it down and wrapped it instead of attaching it back to the strings. the doctors told her she would be going to the physical therapy room to test her range of motion, how well the nerves were functioning, etc. just as a precaution, they rolled her down in a wheelchair; her dad was working so the nurse was taking her. as she is heading down the hall, a voice echos from behind,
"no feelings guy huh?"
celine asks the nurse to stop, and she turns around to see alexander walking to her.
alexander had dark brown hair, it was wavy and sat well, but he fixed it when she looked at him. one of his eyes was blue, the other was green, and celine had a hard time taking her eyes off his.
he looked down and put his hands in his pocket after a few seconds,
"so where are you going?" he asks to break the tension
"physical therapy" she replies. still taking alexander in.
"i can take you there" he responds, and the nurse steps away and alexander takes up pushing celine in the wheelchair.
it's a minute or two before either of them say anything, but celine asks,
"so have you been in the hospital a lot?"
"i used to be here a lot when my mother was admitted" although he doesn't really elaborate.
"oh is she out now?" celine goads him
"she passed a little over a year ago" he says
celine is quite, not sure how to respond, she knows the death of a mother is hard, but she doesn't want to make it about her.
"i hope you can heal" is all she says.
they get in the elevator and alexander leans against the wall next to her wheelchair.
"so why did you come visit me today?" celine asks, not sure why he would.
"i wanted to see you again-"
celine giggles, happy the feeling was mutual.
"i meant i wanted to see how the surgery went, i came by but you were still pretty drugged up so i decided i would come back when you were, well more recovered" he tries to cover for himself.
"oh sure" she says as the elevator doors open, as he is pushing her again, she looks up at him and says, "you totally missed me"
he looks down so celine can see he is rolling his eyes at her.
"no need to deny it, i know how you feel" she smiles and looks back down. she is giddy, even if he says it's just to see her recovery, she is happy he visited her again.
"we are here" he says after a few more minutes of walking.
the physical therapist takes over pushing her wheelchair, and celine waves goodbye.