What Did You Learn From Jesus?

Why Are You A Christian?

Why are you a Christian? Are you one for God or for yourself? It seems in some segments of the Church, emphasis has been placed on God's blessings, instead of Him. Even when sharing the Gospel, some would entice people into the Kingdom by highlighting the blessings of God, instead His greatness and their need for a Savior. To be sure, His blessings are important, but they're not the goal. Do we ask people to say a prayer, so they'll go to Heaven, or so they can enter into a right relationship with Him?

How many get angry with God when things don't go their way? For instance: "Lord, I thought You were supposed to give me favor, why didn't I get the job (promotion, raise, etc.)?" Question: wasn't the Cross favor? What about what He's already given you?

2 Peter 1:3-4 According as His divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him that hath called us to glory and virtue: Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

If you don't consider these things to be part of His favor toward you, you are missing it. Besides, do you know better than God in terms of what you need or should have? Are you not content with what you have? Have you been faithful with it?

What Has Jesus Taught You?

Ephesians 4:17-21 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling (being insensitive) have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness.

But ye have not so learned Christ; If so be that ye have heard Him, and have been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

So, what have you learned from Jesus? It's important to be careful about from whom you learn. Who is your primary source of truth? Is Holy Spirit teaching you, or is it the world?

When reading the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John), what did you learn from Jesus' example? One thing we can quickly pick up is He did what He did out of love. He was busy about His Father's business; in fact, He was concerned about pleasing Him, and not Himself. This takes us back a question earlier: are you a Christian for Him or yourself?

Did you ever read about Jesus being discouraged, or upset because things didn't go His way? One sign a person is doing things for himself or herself, is he or she becomes discouraged. How many become disgruntled when they fail to get the response for which they were hoping, after serving others? Do you get upset when someone doesn't thank you, or give you an "attaboy" or "attagirl"?

Think about this: Jesus went to the Cross knowing full well there would be many who would reject, yet, He laid His life down anyway. Everything Jesus said was 100 % truth to the infinite degree; and yet, many called Him a liar. The majority of the people wanted what He had to offer; not He, Himself. How many cried, "Crucify Him," after all the good He did for them? Did He complain to the Father? "Those people!" What was His response?

Then said Jesus, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do (Luke 23:34).

Are You Doing Things For Him?

Colossians 3:23-24 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Do you find yourself in need of the affirmation of others? If you do, it could be you're disconnected with God's love. The more you know your identity in Jesus Christ and walk in love, the less you need anyone else's approval. Waking up to His love, and actually being love because He is love, empowers you to freely serve. No more strings attached to anything you do for others. It means you're actually doing things for God by loving others well!

1 John 4:16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in Him.