Chapter 6

First years, here!" I could hear a gruff voice yell. I looked towards its direction to find Hagrid with a beaming smile present on his face. I looked around to find Harry, Ron and Hermione, as we had all been split up because of the bustling crowds trying to get off the train. "Elle! Elle, we're here!" I heard Ron's voice. I looked to my right where I found all three waiting for me. Then a thought struck me. 'They're the Golden Trio, right? So they're the ones who actually defeat Voldemort. The three of them are best friends. Am I just...butting in for no good reason? Even if I wasn't there, they would still defeat Lord Voldemort.' 'Yes, but they lost many lives.' started a voice in the back of my head. 'Maybe you could help save the lives of many whos would be lost! And also maybe help them defeat him earlier!' 'That does seem like a good idea... I can help them live happier lives!' With that thought stuck in my head, I ran towards them.

"Hey guys! I wondered where you were! Also," I faced Ron. "You forgot your wand in the compartment." "WHAT?" He yelled. "Just a bit louder, Ron, is it? I think the villages over 5 miles still haven't heard ye." We turned around to find-"Hagrid!" Harry and I laughed in unison. "Yep, it's me! Well, now come on! We have to leave now, otherwise all of ye'll be late for the sorting." "Wait for a second, I really need to get my wand." Said Ron, leaving in a hurry. I laughed out loud, and everyone looked at me. "Why are you laughing?" Harry asked with a mischievous, knowing glint in his eyes. "Well, I just said that his wand was in the compartment. I never said that I didn't take it from the-" "ELLE! I'M GOING TO GET YOU FOR THIS!" I heard Ron yell behind me. "Oh so you realized!" I laughed. He glared at me. "Oh no, Ron. I'm so scared. If looks could kill, I'd be 15 feet under." I mockingly stuttered. Harry, Hermione, Hagrid, and I laughed until we reached the boats. "Now, I must be going on. I'll see ye all at Hogwarts." Hagrid mentioned to us before looking ahead at all the first years. "Four to a boat, first years!" He commanded. This time, when I looked, he did look very serious. Very scary, too. He really did take his job seriously. Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Neville were together in a boat. When they asked me why I didn't want to join them, I said I wanted to socialize. I did, really. But when I looked ahead, all I was left with were Malfoy and his goons. I mentally raged, took a breath, forced a smile, and made my way towards them. It was just one boat ride. I could deal with them until we reached Hogwarts, right? Of course, the universe just loves proving me wrong doesn't it?

                                                                                               * * *

After riding(and listening to many great stories about Malfoy riding broomsticks, which I was told him ILLEGAL, but of course he didn't listen, which almost always ended with him escaping 'those stupid muggle contraptions that they had to make to try and reach on par with magic') on the boat and reaching Hogwarts, we were greeted by Professor McGonagall. 'Thank you, Hagrid. I will take them from here.'

She pulled the door wide. The Entrance Hall was so big, but as I am part of a pure blood family who lives in a mansion, I wasn't that impressed. But since we did finally reach Hogwarts, I put a smile on my face. But that obviously wasn't the reaction people were expecting. I was one of the few who didn't gasp.

The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones in our home. I really think that electrical lights are more convenient, as if they fall, they won't burn your head off. The ceiling was too high to make out, and a magnificent marble staircase facing us led to the upper floors. It was amazing. It shined under the flickering lights of a thousand torches, like a thousand stars. We followed Professor McGonagall across the flagged stone floor. We, well at least I, could hear the voices of what seemed like an army from a doorway to the right– the rest of the school must already be here – but Professor McGonagall showed us into a small empty chamber off the hall. We crowded in, standing rather closer together than they would usually have done, peering about nervously. The 'we' does not include 'me'. I was taught basic etiquette by my mother, so I knew that one of the ways to make a good first impression was to appear confident. Professor McGonagall started her speech.