Chapter 1: A Noticeable Attraction

This is my first attempt at a solely Harry Potter fanfic (I have a few Harry Potter/Once Upon a Time crossovers in progress). The Blacks and the Malfoys have such interesting backgrounds and are such complex characters that I couldn't help but explore it. Besides, Narcissa is one of my favorite Harry Potter characters, and despite everything Bellatrix did, she's a great villain (as is Lucius), so I wanted to write a story from Narcissa's POV. It might not be 100% canon compliant, as I'm sure I'll make mistakes, and I have a few headcanons of my own. As well, this story might feel more like semi-connected one shots than a whole story with rising action, a climax, and resolution. Anyway, enjoy Potterheads.

Narcissa Black pushed her trunk on the luggage cart as she followed her older sisters to Platform 9¾. Bellatrix was off in her own world, as always, and Andromeda was quietly sandwiched in between her older and younger sisters. Cygnus and Druella followed behind their three daughters. When the family reached the wall between platforms nine and ten, Bella ran through the wall, with Andromeda following close behind her. Narcissa stared straight at the wall, and thought about nothing else as she ran toward the bricks. After a brief moment of darkness, it was bright again. And directly to her right was the Hogwarts Express.

It wasn't like she had never seen the steam locomotive before now. Both Bella and Dromeda had been Hogwarts students for several years now. But this year, she would be joining her older sisters on their journey to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. She was so in awe of this fact that she was startled when she heard her mother and father come up behind her. "Come on, Cissy. It's almost time for the train to depart."

"Yes, Father," she answered, following behind Cygnus.

Druella was talking to Bella and Dromeda. Narcissa approached them, and lined up next to them. Druella said, "Now, I expect you both to look out for Cissy. Understand, Bella, Dromeda?"

"Yeah, I understand, Mother," said Bellatrix. She turned and boarded the train, not even bothering to say goodbye.

"Don't worry, Mother. I'll look out for Cissy," said Andromeda. She quickly kissed Druella on the cheek, nodded at Cygnus, and boarded the train. "Goodbye, Mother, Father. I will see you at Christmas."

Narcissa watched Andromeda board, and turned to face her parents. Druella laid her hands on her youngest daughter's shoulders, and said, "Remember what we went over last night, Cissy?"

"Ask the Sorting Hat for Slytherin. Don't trust Professor Dumbledore. Don't become too friendly with students who disgrace the name of wizard or witch," Narcissa repeated what Druella had told her the previous night.

"That's my girl." Druella kissed her daughter on her forehead.

"Have a good semester, Cissy," said Cygnus.

"Thank you, Father." Narcissa grabbed the handle to her trunk, climbed the stairs, and turned to face her parents one final time before entering the long hallway of the Hogwarts Express.

There were witches and wizards scurrying in and out of compartments, excitedly greeting their friends, or skimming through their textbooks. Narcissa walked down the corridor until she found the compartment where Bellatrix and Andromeda were seated, Andromeda having saved a seat for her. She glanced up to where the luggage compartments were, and she attempted to lift her trunk to store it in its proper place, though she was struggling given her petite stature. "Allow me."

Narcissa looked over her shoulder, and saw a young boy standing behind her. He had short blond hair, gray eyes, and he was obviously an established student since he was wearing a Slytherin scarf. She scooted to the left, and allowed the boy to take control of the trunk. He safely secured it in the overhead compartment. "Thank you."