Chapter 1

I've been running all my life. I don't know why, but there is no logical reason how or why I'd stop and pretend that I have no need to. Not after what happened to my mother.

I lost her because she never runs from anything. She's the bravest person I know but also the most narrow-minded. I lost her as she tried to protect me. I can't meet that same fate.

Everywhere I go, they always seem to find me though. They don't find me to make friends. Whatever the reason, I know it'll end with my life ending. Every field, every city, every island, there they are, guns ready and blasting away, causing chaos to every other innocent person who's trying to go about their day without a care. Seeing strangers suffer for no reason causes me more grief than my very own ordeal.

I've made it a routine that my life is to be a nomadic one. My food comes from a quick exchange with a farmer or investigation in the forests. I only afford baths in the closest river or lake I can find, and even then, it's not a long relaxing one. All beautifying chores are done on the run or on the walk. Most of the days, I don't have time to do any of that.

I spend most of my time outdoors. There's no telling what my cause of death would be if I find an indoor shelter to stay in.

But what is this life? I don't have any time to do what I want to do. I've seen so many happy people in my travels. How come I can't have that? Why has my life resorted to being hunted down like a fish to a hawk? Only one word can describe how I feel about the current circumstances of my life.

Exhausted.

My next venture leads me to the most crowded city I've ever seen. Not that it's crowded with people but rather crowded with buildings. So many tall buildings next to each other like a carton of eggs. Everything is so neat and clean, not even a spiderweb is hanging off of anything anywhere. "Station Square welcomes all!" the sign reads.

"No, Arina. This is a bad idea. This city will crumble if you go in there." But there aren't any more open paths to take to go around it. I don't have a choice in that regard. I'm possibly right. This may be a terrible decision.

Station Square is full of choices to make once I enter the borders. These buildings contain so many shops of many kinds. The most plentiful is food. Fruit/vegetable markets, diners, pizza parlors, hot dog stands, deli counters, and more. I can't remember the last time I've had a proper meal. With the budget I have, what can I even afford?

But then, I see it. A colorful sign that reads, "Ice cream crepes!" with an arrow pointing to the left. The store to the left has only a counter with ice blue shading to cover the pickup window.

Drool crawls out of my mouth before I can stop myself. My stomach grumbles as if to scream. "Crepe! Now!"

"No, stomach, we can't afford that!"

The shield to the window opens. The owner of the store flips the sign to indicate it's status and calls out, "Free crepes from now to noon! Get your free crepes here! One per customer! Just made fresh this morning!"

Who can ever turn down a free crepe?

No one since the city children come running to the store like bats out of a cave at nightfall. Each one impatiently waits for the promised treat, and the owner kindly delivers. The children's faces beam at the sight of such deliciousness.

I finally gather the courage to approach the store window, swallowing nervously.

"Well, how do you do, little ma'am? What would you like on your crepe this morning?"

"Ummm...What would you order yourself?"

The owner chuckles. "Personally, my favorite combo is vanilla ice cream, strawberries, and chocolate chips."