chapter 11

~Rudo~

I woke up to my head pounding. I forgot to close my curtains last night so the midday sun shone through my windows, momentarily blinding me. My hand found the bridge of my nose on its own and I closed my eyes to try and put an end to the insistent throbbing. 

Last night my head was full of bubbles, when morning came it was full of miniature drums. I lifted myself onto one side and that's when I felt the shift, on my bedside table was a glass of water and two white pills. I wasn't home alone. I rolled over, grabbed the pills and finished half the glass of water, even though my body resisted any of my movements. I groaned as my head hit the pillow again. God, I hate drinking, I said to myself. Well, that wasn't true. I found that it was kind of an escape. It was fun to let loose. To throw my filter away and float through life as if nothing mattered. Usually, the aftermath was never worth it, but how else can I justify having fun.

It was only a few moments before I remembered what happened last night. Or what almost happened. The champagne was really fueling me that night, or was it Zion? Quickly my hands covered my face, how embarrassing.

I was just about getting used to the banging in my head, the silence of the house really helping. When I heard a loud crash from the kitchen. My hands flew up to my hair, dear god my head was about to explode. The ringing. Everything was so loud. Once the banging in my head returned to its regular dull throb, I sat up. And the world spun. I blinked a few times harder, trying to get my bearings. 

I had fallen asleep in my dress last night, but as I walked into the bathroom I noticed that I had taken my makeup off, thankfully. The shower I took was quick and I changed into comfortable lounge clothes. Having the shower did help a little bit, the water cleared my thoughts and washed away the smell of last night. I was applying some of my favourite perfume when I heard another crash in the kitchen, this one followed by a "Fuck."

It hadn't even crossed my mind to check out the person in my kitchen. To be fair, my head required more attention. I let myself out of my room and walked into the kitchen. There I saw Zion scraping at a saucepan, it looked like he had burnt something. The burnt crust on the pan was not budging, so he resorted to hitting the pan with the spatula. It did not help with my head.

"Zion?" I placed my hand on my head again. He turned around to face me,

"Oh. Hey. I mean, good morning." He looked down at his hands holding the pan and spatula and quickly placed them both in the sink. He cleared his throat, "I made breakfast."

I took this time to survey what was on the kitchen counter, and I opened my mouth but he spoke,

"Or at least I tried to."

"It looks good." I croaked. He gave me a crooked smile.

"Well, what would you like to have?"

"I'll have a little bit of everything." I looked at the spread before me, bacon, eggs, grilled tomatoes and toast.

"The plates are-." I started,

"Yeah, I got it." He reached into the cupboard above the sink and grabbed two plates. Filling up one of them with a lot more food than the other. I seemed to forget that Zion was actually familiar with this kitchen. 

"Thank you," I whispered and walked towards the couch with my food. He followed me. I instinctively turned on the t.v. I wasn't sure whether it was for background noise or to stop Zion from talking. The silence was awkward, it wasn't like before. 

The only sound accompanying the t.v was the scraping of forks on our plates. The meal wasn't all that bad, the eggs were a little burnt but besides that it was good. Zion inhaled his food. I forgot how much the man ate.