Prologue

On a normal day at a particular high-school the sound of heavy footsteps rang through the hall as Gilbert Beilschmidt came tearing down to a certain locker, to ask a, specific question, of a distinct girl, 

By the name of Elizaveta Hédeváry. 

He came to a screeching halt, sliding on the heels of his sneakers as she placed a book down on the shelf carefully and, -used to this behavior from him by now- calmly turned to look at him, her long brown hair swaying a bit at the movement. 

"Yes?" 

"Eliza! I did not hear right about your fundraiser!! Tell me I did not!" 

Elizaveta, was one of the most independent and delightful, if not a bit quick-tempered girls in school, and was on the committee for school-related, after school activities. 

She had indeed organized the annual fundraiser as a bachelor auction, much to many of the boys dismay. 

"And what did you hear?" 

"A bachelor auction? How lame is that! Besides what's this that all the boys are required to participate??" 

He anxiously tugged at his scarf and ruffled his strange silver hair, a tough to define look behind his bright red eyes, being the only albino kid in the whole school did quite the opposite of harm to his self esteem, he thought himself a rarity like no other. 

"I would obviously be the best bachelor but- ...what about the wimpy boys who are-...are nervous about it, eh?" 

She rolled her eyes at him and leaned on the open door to her locker, "You are the first to complain to me Gilbert." 

He was a bit surprised to hear this, and blinked blankly at her for a moment. 

"Are you sure?" 

"Yes of course I'm sure!!" she snapped, swatting him with the jacket in her arms and going back into her locker, "Now do calm down and get to your class." 

He shrugged his shoulders, "This is a terrible idea, I have warned you!" 

"Go to class Gilbert! You're wasting your time-" 

"You want to be sure I'm in the auction so you can bid on me don't you." as soon as he finished his sentence, he tore off back down the hall, laughing loudly so as to avoid her answer. 

"You are so full of it!!" she shouted after him, slamming her locker door shut. 

"Hello beautiful." 

The boy standing directly behind her locker door in wait for her to close it nearly scared her out of her wits, she grabbed him by his collar entirely out of reflex and just about lifted him off of his feet. 

Feliks Łukasiewicz blinked widely and brushed his straight blonde hair -a bit on the longer side- out of his face, clearly unable to free himself from her grip, "Your reflexes are like, sharper then ever," he said as she rolled her eyes somewhat and let go of him slowly, "Is there ever gonna be a time surprising you doesn't turn out to be near life threatening?" 

"Likely not, Feliks." she said brushing the wrinkles out of his clothes she'd just given him. 

"What was Gilbert over here for?" he looked out in the direction he had run and now disappeared from sight, "Did he hear about the fundraiser?" he said clapping, "does it totally piss him off??" 

Elizaveta sighed, fixing her hair, "By the looks of it." 

Feliks hopped up and down a bit and held a hand out to her for a high-five, "Righteous!!" 

She just looked at him, "I thought it would be fun.." 

He calmed down a bit and slipped his hand into his pocket, "It will be!" he said poking her in the shoulder with the other hand, "We'll learn so much, and you totally get to play matchmaker, only.....only from a distance. You got like, your practically couples, official couples, people who stare at each other across a classroom, awkward people who would never end up with anybody unless you shoved them into each other while they're walking-" 

"I'm gonna have to stop you there." she said as she started walking, "This is about raising money for school not trying to pair off your classmates, you won't be interfe-" 

"So I have to get bidding wars going to make more money!!" he shouted, catching a few glances from the others in the hall as he trotted along beside her, 

"No, Feliks." she sighed, "You won't be interfering."  

"Says you-" he muttered, 

"What was that?" she said grabbing his hand and squeezing it half to death, 

"AH-..o-OKAY-..!" he said wincing; she eased up on her grip, 

"Don't hold my hand Lizzie, people will think we're like, a couple or something, ....Miss "I'm not trying to create romance drama"-OW." 

She easily crushed his hand again before letting go and walking a step ahead of him, "Don't joke Feliks," she looked back over her shoulder with a small smile, "You're my best friend." 

He laughed and tried to catch up to her, but she continued taking a step ahead, "As if," he stumbled a bit before returning to a leisurely pace, "You would eat me alive!!" 

She slowed down as well and walked next to him the rest of the way to their next class, "Well, you definitely don't underestimate me."