Ch 10

Recap:

"Justin... I will never forgive you."

"I thought you understood what an untenable situation I was in," he shook his head angrily.

"I understand and I sympathise but that does not change the fact that the person I thought I loved, the man I married in good faith, never existed and I don't think I'll ever be able to get past that, Justin." He sighed heavily.

"Fair enough," he finally conceded. "But we need to make the best of this situation in the meantime and living like strangers in the same house isn't the best solution."

"Fine," she whispered reluctantly. "What do you suggest?"

"I would like to be present at your doctors' appointments," he said after a long pause and she hesitated, slanting a helpless gaze at her cousin who shrugged slightly.

"Why?"

"Peace of mind," he responded succinctly and she frowned, trying to think about it from all angles before sighing quietly.

"Fine... but your opinions and input are not encouraged or desired. So you'll be there as just an observer... A silent observer. I will manage my own health and pregnancy," his jaw clenched in displeasure but he kept his mouth shut and nodded reluctantly.

"I also think..." his voice was slightly hoarse and he paused to clear his throat before continuing. "I also think that living in the same house and never seeing each other is... well... ridiculous actually. Please stop disappearing when you know I'm home. It makes me feel like a monster knowing that you're cowering away in some corner of the house because you'd rather not face me." He couldn't have chosen better words to get her back up and she bristled furiously.

"I do not cower," she seethed, barely aware of the amused look he exchanged with her cousin.

"It certainly feels that way to me," he responded. "I know that you find it difficult to be around me because of the feelings you once had for me..." another outraged gasp from her. "And I also know that with the attraction between us you're probably afraid the chemistry will flare up and we'll wind up in bed again, I mean it's fairly obvious how much you want me... but..."

"I... you..." she was absolutely furious with him for bringing up their sex life in front of her cousin and appalled to realise that he thought she was hiding from him. Like some timid little rabbit. Okay, so maybe she had been hiding but she had been doing it to keep both of them comfortable with the awkwardness of the situation. "The colossal ego on you... I'm not cowering or hiding or anything like that! I just can't stand to be around you."