Imagine

As I lay on the cold bench I can't help but lose all hope that I'd ever see you again. The tears that I had been holding in this past year are finally shed.

Max, it's winter time. Remember, this was our favorite time of year? My nose is numb; remember how you always thought it looked cute when it got red? Do you remember the time we cuddled up under the tree at the park? It was late, far past the time I was suppose to go home but neither of us wanted to say goodbye so I stayed, in the freezing cold, just sitting in complete silence, cuddling to stay warm. Those were the happiest moments of my life. Max, do you remember?

"Max, do you remember?"

                                                                                             * * *

Ugh I'm late! I can't be late to this interview! I need this job to help my mom with our current money situation that that good for nothing gambler left us. I never thought I could hate someone so much like I hate him.

When I was two my father died and my mom remarried soon after. His name was James Oak and seemed like the best step father anyone could ever ask for. I even grew accustomed to calling him dad. What we didn't know was that he was a very big gambler with extremely bad luck. He was in, neck deep by the time my mom found out...or maybe she always knew? Maybe she just saw it as a flaw she had to accept because no one was perfect.

Either way, he took off three years and left us his debt. Now, my mom's credit is far beyond worse that you can ever imagine and we owe money to all these different companies that I didn't know about. Now that I'm sixteen, the chances of me finding a job that I could use to help my mom with some of the bills is greater. She says that I don't need to worry about it, that it's up to her to take care of this family.

I love my mom but she's crazy if she thinks that I'd let her do this all by herself.

I take a quick shower and use my most appropriate and formal attire that I own, which, unfortunately isn't the greatest but it'll had to do.

If I'm lucky, Lolita, that's what I call the car, will not give me any problems and there will be no traffic and I get there on time and I get the job! Okay, now time to be realistic, if I'm lucky, Lolita will start up just fine this morning.

I go out and see an old beat up beetle that will go at any moment. However, it is our only means of transportation and since my mom works night shifts, I can have it during the day. As I attempt to turn it on, I'm praying that it'll work just fine and wont give me any troubles.

"Please God, let Lolita turn on!" I said.

God was listening because Lolita started without any hesitation. Thank you God! I quickly reversed and thought that this day could turn around because things were starting to look up.

The thing about life though, is that it always has something to make sure that that smile turns right upside down.

I wasn't paying attention because I was so happy that my car had started that I ended up hitting a car that was passing by. The worst part, since we were so backed up on our payments, my mom cancelled our insurance and simply paid off whatever we owed, which was difficult to do in itself.

"FUCK!" I yelled. It was the only way that I could properly explain how I felt. I couldn't help but to start crying because I really hated my life right now. I hope I can talk whoever I hit out of suing me or something; I didn't really know how a situation like this worked.

I heard a tap on my window and I must have scared them because they looked surprised when they saw my face.

"Are you okay?" they asked.