Prelude One

The car halted midway in between the intersection. Horns started blazing from all the corners as he pulled the car back into the gear and unknowingly drove back towards Laxminagar.

"Mere leye uss baat ki, ya tumhari, koi ihmiyat nahi."

trans. [for me, you and whatever happened, it all means nothing.]

The phrase rang inside his mind as he stopped the car in front of her door. What was he going to say? Why was he here? He closed his eyes, his knuckles turning white as his grip on the steering wheel tightened, his inner gut telling him that something was definitely wrong.

*

"Hum tayaar hain." Khushi finally spoke, feeling tied in ropes of helplessness.

trans. [I am ready]

Shashi fell quiet watching the colors change on his daughter's face. The realization of failing as a father, as protector dawned upon him.

*

Arnav sat up straight and reversed the car back into the street when he spotted a familiar figure lurking from behind and knocking on the door of her house.

He shut off the engine, closing off the lights which led the man to relax as the door opened.

"Jija Ji?" he muttered.

He stepped down from his own car and walked up towards the house. What could Jija Ji be doing here?