chapter fourteen

I can feel both excitement and nervousness radiate off of Laurance as he jogs in place. He's wearing his gym uniform, and he manages to somehow make it look flattering.

"You'll tire yourself out before it even starts," I tell him, trying to place my hand onto his shoulder to make him stop. It's still a bit chilly outside, but that's expected when early March. "I'm sure you'll do well."

I'm holding onto Laurance's water in case he wants a drink from it. Baseball tryouts have already happened, and it's no shocker that Garroth had become team captain for a second year in a row.

Now, today is soccer tryouts, and Laurance has to try twice as hard to impress the coaches of his abilities. He's new, so it's almost like he's a freshman. He's shown what he can do in gym class, but this is an actual team.

Vylad is taking this far better than Laurance, but he knows what to expect. Laurance is being thrown blindfolded into how Phoenix Drop does its soccer tryouts.

Garroth has made it very clear to me that all sports have different tryouts from one another, but I don't see the difference. It's to see what skills you have. Is it not?

Laurance stops for a moment and turns to me for the water bottle. I hand it over and watch him nearly drink all of it within that one sitting. I sigh and reach into my backpack to pull out a few more. I had a feeling something like this would happen and there would be a new for refills. I just didn't think it'd happen so soon.

I place my hands on his shoulders and begin to rub. The little massage seems to loosen him up slightly, but he still feels tight. I press a soft kiss against his cheek and smile at him.

"Why don't you try some stretches if you are willing to move as much as you are," I suggest, looking at the male in front of me. He nods slowly and does a few stretches.

Laurance looks at me sheepishly before looking around at all the males around. "Would you give me a good luck kiss before it begins?" He asks, reaching for my hand.

"Of course I will," I say, and the sound of a whistle sounds bringing Laurance's attention away from me. Words are spoken in the form of a yell, and Laurance quickly turns his head to me for a soft kiss before dashing off to the coach.

I let out a quickly giggle and nods my head, smiling softly. Some of the boys brought other people with them to tryouts for support, and Laurance appeared to be no different.

I look up at the bleachers for the possibility of seeing anyone I may know. I see Alex and decide that I'll sit with her because I don't want to sit alone.

"Is this seat taken?" I ask, standing in front of the empty spot in front of me.

She looks up at me, surprised, and slowly nods her head. "I don't mind," she says, smiling softly before going back to digging through her backpack.

The bleachers are cold from the metal, and it takes a few moments to get used to the temperature. I know with time I'll grow to be uncomfortable, but these is the price I pay when being in a relationship with Laurance.

"Did you go to tryouts last year?" I hear Alex asks, and I glance to her to see that she has a thing of homework on her lap. If she's working on her's, I may as well work on mine.

I pull my backpack out and place it onto my lap, searching through the mess until I had found what I wanted. Besides from the yelling from the coach and the typical sounds of soccer, it was decently quiet for being on school grounds.

"I did," I answer, glancing up at the boys until I see both my brother and Laurance. I return my gaze back to Alex to speak with proper eye contact. "But my mom came with. She forced Zane to come since Garroth wanted to see his little brother get into his first high school sports team." I giggle at the thought. "Garroth has always been optimistic when it comes to things like that."

"I've noticed that," Alex says, chuckling on her own.

°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•°

The tryouts end, and I can see Laurance jogging to me. He seems energized, and I expected him to be worn out. I hand him a new water bottle, and he chugs it down with ease until it's empty. I place my stuff into my backpack before getting down to the pavement to stand with him.

"When will you know the results?" I asks him, tilting my head to the side. "Do you think you did well?"

Laurance nods his head, a large smile spread across his lips. "They seemed impressed with me. They we're watching me quite a bit," she admits, his face hot due to the what his body created. "But results come out in a matter of days."

I nod my head and chuckle. "Come on stinky. Let's go get you some dinner and a hot shower. You need it."