Chapter 1: 1920s

1923
Ah, what a lovely day it is. I was doing work as usual when Toppy said they were loaning new engines. Before them, the only engines on the railway were me, Alfred, and Tobias. I have finished my jobs early and I've gone to the sheds to rest.
...
...
...
"Oi Edward. Wake up."
"..w-what time is it?"
"Its 8:15. You're late for your train."
"Thank you Alfred."
"No problem."

I thank Alfred every morning, even though I am getting old and need rest. After all, I am just a D40.

As I rushed into the station I noticed a new face.

"Ah, hello there! Who are you?"
"Henry, sir. I'm new here."
"You don't have to call me sir. I'm Edward, nice to meet you."

Toppy showed up not long after.

"Ah, Edward and Henry, just in time. I need you two to double-head a passenger service from Tidmouth to Knapford."
We both agreed to double-head.

As this was Henrys first day on the island, I was in front. I'm not sure what classification of locomotive Henry is but im sure to take notice sooner or later. All I know is that he's a 4-6-2 tender locomotive.

It started to rain halfway throughout the journey. Henry must've had a fear of rain, because when we goy close to a tunnel, he stopped in it.

"Henry, why have we stopped?"
"The rain will spoil my loved green paint and red stripes."
"Are you afraid of rain?"
".....yes."

I didn't mind, as engines have their phobias. I was uncoupled from the train and waited. Soon after, Alfred, with Sir Topham Hatt, arrived. He was notified of the incident. He got out of the train with some rope.

"We will pull you out!"

Henry blew steam at him.

First people attempted to pull Henry out, but to no avail. Next, I tried pulling Henry out, to no avail. It was determined that we were gonna push him out. The passengers and I tried, but to no avail. Eventually, Tobias showed up. The rain had stopped after me and the passengers tried, but before Tobias had shown up.

"Look, it has stopped raining!"
"Yes, and it'll begin again soon. What would become of my green paint and red stripes then?"

Henry, your paint won't melt in the rain. Tobias tried to push Henry out by himself to no avail. Me and Tobias tried to push Henry out. We almost did and moved him by a few meters, but to no avail. He pushed back.

Eventually, Toppy gave up.

"We shall take away your rails and leave you here until you're ready to come out"

They dug up the old rails a built a wall in front of Henry so he could not move. Me, Alfred, and Tobias went back to the sheds. We dicussed who else could be coming and also about Henrys basis.

"I think an engine from the GNR is coming."
"Do you know what Henrys basis is, Alfred?"
"I think its a A1/4 Prototype 4-6-2."

There it is! Henrys firebox was suspiciously small and looked like a C1 firebox. This'll probably come to bite him in the dust later.
...
...
...
I woke up the next morning to see Alfred, Tobias, and another engine arguing.

"Edward, make Gordon stop."
"How is he supposed to make me stop?"
"Alfred, shut up, you're already late for your train, you twit."

Gordon rushed out of the sheds to to platform at Tidmouth. He looked liked an A1, only he had the number 1469, was a bit longer, and looked like he had Walschearts gear.

When I got to the station, the coaches, and that Gordon engine were gone.

"Thats odd. Wheres my train?"

"Ah. You're Edward, aren't you? Can you show me around the island?"

"Does Sir Topham consent to it?"

"Of course. My name is Gordon."