Chapter 1

"Dr. Johnson?" i hear from a distance
"a gunshot wound about 5 minutes out, your in on it."

"okay got it."

I go to the trauma center and get a gown on, i hear sirens from the distance. the ambulance pulls up.

"Melody Hoffman, 32, gunshot wound to the chest." the paramedic spills out.

"okay got it." i recognize the young women with brown hair, as i pull the gurney into a room with other doctors.

"okay, on my count. 3-2-1" we put her on the bed and get to work.

"is this Dr. Hoffman? head of Peds surgery?" one doctor asked.

"yes, it is, so everyone hush while i try to save her, so we don't loose one of our best doctors." i exclaimed
-
"you paged?" i asked the short brown head

"i need you for something, i have a kid who is on a heart transplant list, but he's getting worse, is there anything you can do until we get a call from them?"

"let's take a look." i take the chart from her

"Hoffman, a heart transplant is all we can do. there's nothing else we can do."

"there's always another way, you have to figure out something. your the head of cardio, there has to be something."

"there's not, i'm sorry."

"listen, i don't like you. i've never been a fan of you, but i wouldn't have asked if i didn't think there wasn't something that could be done." Melody said firmly

"okay, fine, i'll look into it. i'll figure something out."

"thank you."
-
after about 5 hours of surgery i finally finished and took Melody to Post-op, hoping for the best in her recovery.
-
beepbeepbeepbeep
i run in there and start doing CPR "come on melody, stay with us." i take her back to the OR
-
i check on melody, and she starts waking up.

"hey, we almost lost you there for a second."

she groans "mmm, what happened?"

"shooter at the bank, your lucky to be alive."

"it was that bad?" she asked

"yeah, but you'll be fine. luckily, we couldn't bare to loose you." i fix her IVs and leave the room

"hey babe." a familiar voice said

"Kara, i've told you, you can't keep calling me pet names."

"right, i'm sorry Mel, it's just a huge adjustment. and you are the mother of our child and i wanted to make sure you were okay."

"poor baby, she must be so scared."

"with a few cuddles, and a reassurance that momma was going to be fine, she was okay."

melody nods

"how are you feeling though?"

"like death." Mel groaned

the tall blonde women nodded "okay, we'll if you need me you know where to find me, we may be divorced but i still care for you."

"ok."