Pour Commencer

Mary sat with Francis's arms wrapped around her as she made eye contact with Sebastian who stood behind Francis. She had just woken up from a deep sleep. She couldn't remember what had happened before she fell asleep, and that upset her very much. She hated not being in control of her fate.

"Francis, what happened to me?" She asked, her voice hoarse from lack of use.

"You were poisoned. You almost died. Bash and I went to get the antidote," Francis pulled back to look at her. He stroked her cheeks with his thumbs, "Oh, Mary, I am so pleased that you are alive."

"As am I," Bash said.

Mary looked past the blonde brother to the wild one behind him, "Thank you. Both of you. I am in your debts."

"Do you know who did this to you?" Francis asked, drawing her attention back to him.

"No, I don't really remember what happened at all. How long was I asleep?"

"Only a day," Francis replied.

"Do you know what you were doing yesterday?"

"She just said she didn't remember," Bash cut in, "Luckily, I saw her just before. She was coming to see Nostradamus about a dream she had had."

"Nostradamus? He wouldn't have done this. He's my mother's most trusted friend," Francis said naïvely.

"He was the last one to see her; that makes him a suspect," Bash said matter-of-factly.

"Hold on, how did you know where she was going?" Francis asked, suddenly suspicious of Sebastian. There was a darkness in his eyes that Mary and Sebastian had never seen before. It reminded them of the look King Henry sometimes got when he was pursing something.

"I must have ran into him on my way here," Mary spoke up. She did not want Bash to be a suspect, she knew that he would never do anything to harm her.

"How would you know? You said you didn't remember anything! He could be a suspect too," Francis said angrily.

"I'm using logic, Francis! I don't think Bash is guilty. He wouldn't try to hurt me."

"He's rash and-"

"And still, right here," Bash said, "I admire your defense of me, Mary, but I will face a proper trial if my brother so desires it. I have nothing to hide and I am not guilty. I will be fine."

Francis stood and walked to the door, "Guards! Come collect Sebastian and Nostradamus, wherever he might be. They are suspects in the poisoning of my fiancé. Lock them in the dungeon to await trial!"

Mary stood there in shock as Francis had his brother dragged off. Sebastian went willingly, and smiled reassuringly at Mary as he left. He had confidence in the justice system, but Mary did not. She feared for him. After being present at court for so long, she knew trials were hardly democratic, and she hoped that King Henry would see reason and not incriminate his favorite son.

Francis turned back to Mary, "How are you feeling?"

"I'm rather tired, which is surprising since I was asleep for an entire day," Mary replied.

"Then you ought to get some rest. Come, I will escort you to your chambers," Francis smiled, his eyes back to normal.

Mary followed him slowly, wishing it was his brother who she got to spend time with. She had to get out of this marriage, but something told her that she could not attempt that just yet. She feared that if she tried to extricate herself from the arrangement now, it would raise questions she could not answer. People would ask if she was leaving Francis for another. The answer, of course, was yes, but she could not reveal it to be Sebastian; especially not while he was a a suspect in her poisoning. She also had to find out what was wrong with Francis; he was acting strange. He had quite a bit of influence and could prove dangerous if she made him angry. She had to go about this with extreme caution. She hoped that there would be an easy solution to her problems; but she knew that this would not be the case. She was a Queen after all.

Author's Note

Hello, my lovely readers! This is the first chapter of the sequel to Flamme Éternelle! I hope you liked it. Please vote and comment to let me know what you thought! xox